Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting today, Apple is making the new macOS Sierra operating system available as an automatic download to customers running OS X El Capitan in order to encourage them to update.

Customers who have auto downloads enabled will see macOS Sierra start to download automatically, but it will not install without express user permission.

012-macos-sierra-970-80-800x449.jpg

Apple shared the news with The Loop and says the update will only be downloaded on computers that meet the specs for macOS Sierra and have an adequate amount of storage space.
Apple is also being smart about the download. If your computer is low on space, macOS Sierra will not download. In addition, if it has downloaded and your computer starts to get low on space, the download will be automatically deleted.
Customers who do not want to upgrade to macOS Sierra can manually delete the update to keep from being prompted to do the install, and the download can be turned off by disabling automatic downloads. Disabling the feature can be done by going to System Preferences -> App Store and unchecking "Download newly available updates in the background."

automaticupdatessierra-800x663.jpg

Automatic downloads of macOS Sierra will be rolling out to customers over the next week.

Article Link: macOS Sierra Available as an Automatic Download Starting Today

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
They should at least wait until 10.12.1 is available. No need to bring the pleasure of bugs to users who didn't take the initiative themselves to get the first public release of Sierra.
I've turned off the background download feature a long time ago as it was using valuable bandwidth when I really needed it.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
They should at least wait until 10.12.1 is available. No need to bring the pleasure of bugs to users who didn't take the initiative themselves to get the first public release of Sierra.
I've turned off the background download feature a long time ago as it was using valuable bandwidth when I really needed it.
I currently have a fair amount of bandwidth, so I don't really notice. It's nice when I am ready to install an update. I expect to have to wait a few minutes (or longer) for the download to complete, but instead when I click OK, the update starts immediately (or in the case of a system update, the countdown to restart).

Reactions: slineaudi and Slix

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I don't get why people are upset about this. How is it any different than iOS? Actually the only difference is that it can be disabled as where iOS does it automatically. I guess I'm not understanding why people are complaining about it unless it's because it's Apple and people here complain more about Apple lately than on Android Central.
[doublepost=1475518967][/doublepost]
quick -- how can we spin this negative?!

Look above, somehow they already are.

max.ine

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
If they're automating the update now, Apple must be pretty close to finalising 10.12.1. I suspect a Wednesday release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.