macOS Sierra cannot be installed on "(null)" message, install works fine

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by anarche, Sep 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. anarche macrumors member

anarche

I have the following message after selecting my Macintosh HD to install the downloaded macOS Sierra. I'm running a 2013 MacBook Air.

The install seems to be progressing fine, but logging this message in case others have the same problem

2. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I had the same message, but the installation failed. Then I restarted, and ran the installation again; this time it worked, and no (null) message.

3. MikeLW macrumors newbie

MikeLW

Have the "cannot be installed on null" message also.... My install is still running... says "about a minute left" and has for a long time. Going to just leave it sit for a few hours before I hit CANCEL.....

4. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Mine said about a minute left for about an hour...then it gave up. But as said, after I restart everything ran fine.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I had a null message appear at the beginning after selecting the hard drive, but it installed fine.

6. MikeLW macrumors newbie

MikeLW

Yup - I am good too. Canceled stuck install and was still on prior version of MacOS. Restarted to be safe. Then restarted the Sierra install (which I found under LaunchPad after some wasted time looking in the App Store.) Install went fine on 2nd try (No "null" message shown).