macOS Sierra on a 2016 M7/512 Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Peter Abs, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Peter Abs macrumors member

Not sure whether to post this here or in the macOS section but anyway, about to pull the trigger on the update but just wondering if anyone had any negative experience running Sierra on their Macbook? Main concern is whether or not it'll slow it down or affect battery life etc have no problem sticking with El Capitan but would be nice to update if there's nothing to worry about?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

No, the MacBook is fast enough to be just fine on Sierra. I haven't seen any slow down on Sierra on any of my Macs, including ones far older/slower than the MacBook.

3. Peter Abs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Thought as much, think I'll go ahead with the update :)

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

For reference, I'm running Sierra on my 2009 MacBook - which is officially too old to run it! It runs just fine. (Although I do have the maximum 8 GB of RAM, and swapped out the spinning hard drive with an SSD. But that SSD is far, FAR slower than the one in your MacBook.)

5. Peter Abs thread starter macrumors member

Good to know it won't affect performance! Just wondering if there are any benefits from doing a clean install? Is it just good practice or is that totally unnecessary on a 6 month old machine with no issues?

6. citivolus macrumors 6502a

Is it just me or are others bothered that one should be concerned that the most powerful MacBook sold that is only six months old may experience slowness running the current os? This doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling as I am considering picking one up.

7. Peter Abs, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

Peter Abs thread starter macrumors member

I'm a little paranoid, and overly cautious ha don't worry, pick one up you won't regret it :)

Edit: My concern was because macOS Sierra is still relatively new, and I'm not sure if there are any kinks that still need to be worked out with it or not. Also as this is my first mac, I'm not familiar with "major" OS updates.

--- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2016 ---
    Just to follow up on this, updated to macOS Sierra and everything's perfect :cool: