macOS Sierra: Picture in Picture Mode for Safari and iTunes Videos

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With macOS Sierra, users can can float a video window from Safari or iTunes over the desktop or an app thanks to a new picture-in-picture mode. The feature enables Mac users to play a video in any one of the four corners of the desktop and resize it to see more or less of the window behind it.

[​IMG]

The video remains pinned above the desktop and apps, including in full-screen mode and split view, so long as the Safari tab or iTunes window where the video originates remains open. The picture-in-picture window has buttons to close or unpin the video, and play and pause controls, but no rewind, fast forward, or scrubbing options.

[​IMG]

In Safari, picture-in-picture mode currently only works on certain websites, such as YouTube, CNN, and The Wall Street Journal, but the feature should become more widely available as other websites implement it. In the meantime, it does not work on websites like Netflix, Facebook, Twitter, AMC, or The New York Times.

[​IMG]

Even on YouTube, enabling picture-in-picture mode currently requires somewhat of a workaround. Since there is no picture-in-picture mode button in the video player itself, like in the CNN screenshot above, enabling the feature on YouTube requires right-clicking the video player twice until a contextual menu pops up with the option.

macOS Sierra was released today as a free download on the Mac App Store.

Article Link: macOS Sierra: Picture in Picture Mode for Safari and iTunes Videos

2. aroom macrumors member

aroom

it's nice. but still, Safari can't play videos on some forum like muffwiggler.com if flash isn't installed. why does it work flawlessly on my iPad with iOS and I'm still struggling on macOS... and no clicktoplugin doesn't help

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

no rewind and fast forward umm disappointing.

4. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Does QuickTime not have this feature or am I just stupid?

5. flowsy macrumors regular

flowsy

You probably know about the trick to enable the developer option in Safari settings. Then you can change the user-agent from the Safari menu bar. It's not perfect, but it works.

6. aroom macrumors member

aroom

Thanks Flowsy but this trick never worked for me

7. Zirel macrumors 68000

Zirel

Because the site detects you are on a computer and wants you to use flash because reasons (like ads).

If you want, you can activate the programmer menu, and change your user agent to iPad and try.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2016 ---
    In your face Google!

You don't want me to watch YouTube videos in picture in picture without paying? No problem!

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

That's likely a problem with a particular site. They've programmed their handling of Flash poorly. (Just ditch it already!)

Could also be a side effect of ad-blockers or tracker-blockers you may be running.

For some reason choosing Firefox Mac gives me the best Flash-avoidance luck on web sites like that... such as Pandora! I'm looking at you!

9. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

10. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

where did you get that wallpaper from? can you share the link? :)

11. blodyholy macrumors member

blodyholy

For those of you that use Tivo Online for in home network streaming, I'm happy to report that Picture in Picture works for their website/setup!

12. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Does not work with plex, or Netflix...

13. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Doesn't work with Netflix?????????????? That's a crime!

14. timbutt2 macrumors newbie

timbutt2

Vimeo works! However, disappointed Netflix doesn't work. Would be nice for Hulu and HBO Now to work as well.

15. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

I haven't downloaded Sierra yet. But that was the biggest reason to!!

16. MysteryMii215 macrumors member

MysteryMii215

Reed Hastings, if you are reading this, tell your engineers to add PiP to Netflix ASAP!

17. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I can't get it to work with YouTube on a MBP. The article says "right-clicking the video player twice until a contextual menu pops up with the option" but the picture just gets bigger. Right clicking ONCE brings up a menu but the PIP option isn't there. This feature was already kind of a bust without Netflix or Plex support.

18. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

19. MacFan23 macrumors 6502

Took them a while to add it to iOS as well right?

20. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

What a disappointing early implementation. For my personal use I thought it would be great for playing application tutorial videos while working in the application but no rewind, forward, or scrubbing makes it near useless for that.

Beyond being able to go back to a step you might have missed, it’s also essential to be able to skip through the presenter prattling on about nothing important. At best most tutorials are only about 50% focused information you need to know.

21. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I'm watching a video in YouTube but when I right-click on it, there is no option to "enable picture in picture". Nor is there a PiP icon in the bottom of the video. This is what I see when I right-click:

[​IMG]

What's up?

22. fricotin macrumors regular

23. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Thanks. That did the trick!

24. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's pretty neat and will have to try it out later on. Would like to see Netflix support this down the road too.

25. BlazePhyre macrumors member

iOS doesn’t use Flash. It’s completely different. Any video that you watch on your iPad in Safari is made to be compatible specifically with mobile and iOS. For most everything on an actual computer you need flash to get videos working. That or silverlight or java.