macOS Sierra: Save Disk Space With the New 'Optimize Storage' Option

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

macOS Sierra, available today, includes a built-in storage optimization feature that's designed to free up storage space on a Mac by storing rarely used files in iCloud, regularly emptying the trash, removing unnecessary files, and more.

It's a handy feature that can give you a good amount of additional storage space with a set of tools that you normally had to download a third-party storage optimization app to use. Here's how to take advantage of Sierra's Optimize Storage feature:
    1. Click on the Apple logo at the top of the menubar and select "About This Mac" from the list of options.
    2. Choose the "Storage" tab at the top to see an overview of how much storage you're using on your Mac.

[​IMG]
    3. Click on "Manage" to open up the optimization options.
    When you open up Optimize Storage, there's a breakdown of where your files are stored and a list of recommended actions you can take to free up space, all of which is new.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: macOS Sierra: Save Disk Space With the New 'Optimize Storage' Option

2. kcamfork Suspended

Such a feature is laughable when you only are provided 5 GB of iCloud storage.

3. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Seems risky with Apple's recent lack of quality assurance. If this caused my MacBook to loose my PhD dissertation I would snap. I keep multiple copies offline and online of all my files, but many others are not as cautious.

4. jmckinstry macrumors newbie

jmckinstry

Any idea how to get rid of that "Purgeable" data at the end of that bar chart (the grey diagonal stripes)? Did the "review" a few days ago and I still can't figure it out.

5. CaptOblivious macrumors member

*for free

6. cube macrumors P6

7. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The real savings will be (next year?) when we see Apple File System.

8. york2600 macrumors regular

york2600

This is actually one of the more useful new features in an otherwise boring OS update

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. cube macrumors P6

I'd rather have official DIY eGPU support.

11. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

It's a dollar a month for 10x that capacity. Don't be cheap.

12. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

Fingers crossed this could bring a similar feature in iOS in the future.

13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

My mac doesn't show the storage split by category like it did in El Capitan. Wonder why?

14. 8281 macrumors 6502

Presumably this person owns an apple device, and is therefore not cheap.

15. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

Its a great feature for Apple executives to charge fees for additional storage space. Since its a cloud service this slice of Apple business is registered in Ireland and where all the fees go.

As we know Apple pays very little taxes there and the executives are unwilling to bring those profits back into the United States since they want to get the bigger bonus by not paying US taxes.

16. KALLT macrumors 601

You mean, APFS will make files magically smaller?

Just the thought of it... A system that deletes files for you and uploads them somewhere. So many things can, and I suspect will, go wrong. Even if you do have a backup, this feature removes old files, files you probably won’t immediately miss. Not even Time Machine keeps files forever as long as it continues to back up everything.

17. BlandUsername macrumors regular

BlandUsername

Local NAS is a better solution. Those really require that you aren't cheap :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. 2010mini macrumors 601

Why do you only have 5gb of iCloud storage?

19. 2457282 Suspended

I have the Time Capsule to back up at home and the iCloud for remote backups. With this feature, I am wondering if I need the Time Capsule.....

Somehow I still want to have a local copy.

20. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Not smaller, more efficient which will lead to less used space due to lack of duplication in the file system. Virtualization will reduce considerably the needed file space.

Your personal files will remain the size they are but if you happen to have multiples of a part of your files the system will know this and virtualize parts of it. Thats how I understand it with the little bit I have read so far.

21. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

22. manu chao macrumors 603

Stranger things have happened.

23. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

There already is, sort of. My iPhone keeps old, full resolution photos in the cloud and only low quality version on the phone. When I click on a picture it downloads the full version. Granted, this is a very specific implementation of the memory management feature, but it helps those with many photos and more so the "16 gigers".

24. manu chao macrumors 603

In my mind this feature makes only sense if you have multiple Macs, in particular a desktop and a laptop, and only enable the 'Optimise Storage' feature on the laptop (but have iCloud sync stuff between your computers).

25. MacsRgr8, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Cool this.

But, can someone explain what this "Purgeable Storage" is...?
    I understand what it means literally, but what does macOS Sierra believe is "Purgeable"?