macOS Sierra Theme for OS X Leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacCubed, Oct 20, 2016.

?

Should the macOS Sierra Theme Also Be Developed For Tiger?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2016.
  1. Yes

72.4%
  2. No

27.6%
  1. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

While that may be the case so far, Mountain Leopard works in iTunes so there is a way

2. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

iTunes has its own interface elements self-contained. Launch Themepark 3.1 and open itunes.rsrc from Files/Open Special, and you can browse the resources. I think they made this change in iTunes 5, as Shapeshifter won't skin iTunes properly after version 4 in Tiger and below, including the traffic lights.

I also believe iTunes makes specific use of the Artfiles when CoreUI is enabled, and its own self-containing resources otherwise. I could be wrong as I haven't tested this theory...

3. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I was just digging through the iTunes package contents to see what I could find. I found 2 interesting files: Images.rsrc and Images2.rsrc. I looked through the first one with ThemePark and, sure enough, it contains tons of images, including the traffic lights! We just need to replace those and then be done! I didn't look at Images2 yet but I assume it's for Intel Macs.
    Hint: if anyone looks through this, the traffic lights start at 28004.

4. swamprock macrumors 6502a

swamprock

Yeah I haven't looked at those yet. I'll have a look at them when I get home.

5. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I don't really like how this is only an "Idea". I feel that it is a necessity. If you haven't started yet, I'd be happy to make this installer package using files you've uploaded.

6. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

We aren't done with the theme totally yet, if @SourceSunTom ever comes back we should be set, as his files are everything

7. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I could start on it if you want, using the files already provided (About This Mac, Icons, Dock). @swamprock is also working on some pretty good traffic lights - perhaps use those?

8. d-oost macrumors 6502a

This won't be hard, it's just very tedious. Because basically you need to take the installer packages with all the system apps, unpack them, replace every single .icns inside all the apps, repackage it, and insert that back into the installer DMG. Not hard, but again, tedious as all hell. I'm very busy with personal stuff at the moment, so I can't really be bothered to do this any time soon. But it is possible.

9. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

The real question is, why are you still on a PowerPC Mac?! This is 2016....

10. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

GTFO before you have everyone jump on you as I'm about to...

11. d-oost macrumors 6502a

The real question is, why the hell are you in the PowerPC section of MacRumors? It's like walking into a bike store and complaining they don't sell cars... Some people :rolleyes:

12. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Um.... That's the point of this subsection...
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2016 ---
    The real question is, why are you using an Intel Mac?! This is 2005....

13. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Anyway, getting back to the topic.
    I have a lot of free time and am willing to do that much work if it means an easy installer package.

14. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

I guess I'm guilty... of walking into the bike store then... :p

Still ridiculous that this section even exists though... haha

15. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Ridiculous that you're still here.

16. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

What are you saying? This is one of the most posted in sections on MR? Did you not hear about the new PowerBook G4s with high-resolution screens along with the new PowerMac G5s featuring dual and quad core processors? They just were announced last week! I wish I could get my hands on them... Super excited for WWDC 2006 though! The PowerBook G5 should finally be here! It's going to be the best laptop ever!

17. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

*Cracks knuckles*
    How is it ridiculous? That's the equivalent of saying "It's ridiculous that there is still a Mac Pro section" since Apple has neglected to update the damn thing in 3 years. But hey, that section still exists even though the Mac Pros are now ancient relics. Over in this corner of the Internet, we have lots of people who still maintain PowerPC Macs and use them on a daily basis, some even use them as daily drivers. It's almost like the people in the Mac Pro section trying to keep their 1,1s, 2,1s, 3,1s, and 4,1s alive longer because they use them and have been axed by apple. Or how about those who have 2006-2010 Apple products that people of your kind rebuke for owning such "ancient" products and that they need to immediately toss it in the trash and go spend $2000 on a brand-spanking, fresh off the Chinese-labor lines, shiny new MacBook Pro, which also hasn't been updated properly in years. Those people want to keep using their older Macs for one reason or another. Should they be laughed at for using them in 2016 too?

18. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Whats ridiculous is that other sections on here call themselves helpful forums, yet each time i posted needing assistance of a slightly older macbook i was told to "GET A NEW ONE" while the PPC section is something capitalist people like you won't understand. Simply because its not always about who's got the best rig for the highest amount, its about community and helping each other out.

19. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Really excited for the event on Thursday. They are so going to launch the new PowerBook G5, Mac Mini G5, and iBook G5. Hopefully they announce a new PowerMac G6, as well as an iMac G6. Also, kinda hoping they announce a new Newton product as well. Lastly, I'd kill for a larger capacity iPod as my original 5GB one is full from all my NSync, U2, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, and Back Street Boys songs :rolleyes:. I should toss out my old one when I get a new one since that'll never be worth anything... ;)

Almost forgot! I heard they are coming out with a 30in Cinema display! That would be something...

20. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah I am having a similar issue with my Apple I, can't get the thing on the internet... It's totally useless, and too old to be worth anything... In the bin it goes, I guess...

21. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

My Macintosh TV stopped working with my Pip-Pin... I think its time to stop at the dump and toss them both :(

22. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

Still ridiculous that people complain about the existence of a forum that they aren't compelled to visit.

23. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Agh, 90's tech am I right?? I had a 128k a few years back, then someone told me to get a Performa 5200CD. The Performa was so nice that I scrapped the 128k for gold!

24. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

I don't know if a Powerbook G5 will be here this time around, but I'm sure that those 7448 powered Powerbook G4s will finally be out.

25. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

I completely forgot, my Apple STB had it's HDD fail, so I chucked it into a river. Oh well :p

While we're on the topic, I went and played golf in Japan and won this unique colorful PowerBook. I gave it to my son, who dropped it down the stairs... I then got him one of those early PowerBook G3 Kangas. Needless to say, he dropped that one too. I thought a desktop would be better, so I got him a G4 Cube. He used it as a coaster, and spilled soda-pop in the vent hole... Such a shame he broke so many products. Good thing they were all useless anyway!