Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kayakphotos

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Naples, FL
I'm looking forward to this update. Does anyone know if game mode is working with emulation? I have found my laptop to work pretty good for dolphin and CEMU, but any improvement helps.

CountYourBeans

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
I would definitely appreciate the ability once again to schedule my computer to start up and shut down at a certain hour without using Terminal.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Feature parity across systems seems important
Fair, but Apple has been aligning features and software releases for years now. This is the first year in a while where they haven't truly staggered Mac OS and the other software releases in the fall.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
macos-sonoma-widgets.jpg
Wow—default wallpaper that looks like Windows XP, and flat design that looks like Windows 8! Great job, Tim Cook! "Can't innovate anymore, my a**!"

Nozgog

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2019
Fair, but Apple has been aligning features and software releases for years now. This is the first year in a while where they haven't truly staggered Mac OS and the other software releases in the fall.
For the past years it felt kind of stupid to have a feature on iOS but then go to your Mac and realize „ah can’t do that here - have to wait another month“

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Not related to the OS but I was hoping Apple would transition already the Mac accessories to USB-C… we will have to wait a bit longer apparently
Apple will likely update the Magic Mouse, Trackpad, and keyboards whenever they refresh the iMac. The Mini and Studio don't ship with peripherals which means they're ordered separately and thus the peripherals are grandfathered into the EU's USB-C mandate. The iMac and Mac Pro do ship with peripherals which means they'll need to be USB-C whenever Apple updates them with M3 variants, with the Mac Pro logically being last on the list.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Will Boot Camp still be present for Intel systems?

You don’t actually need boot camp to instal or run windows, Linux, bsd, whatever on an intel mac. It just automates the partitioning, installation and driver updates

If you already have windows or whatever installed it will still be there. If you want to instal something else you still can

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Wonder how polished this will actually be (and if there will be a corresponding macOS version of the 'Journal' app coming for iOS).....

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I’m not sure if I will be as quick to update to Sonoma as I was to Ventura, which I upgraded to at the .1 update. I have a few more apps and really want to play Baldur’s Gate 3 with my cousin, so first want to see if everything works as intended.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Really, I thought the kinks were typically worked out by .1 releases. It was .0, .0.1, .0.2 … 0.n that were the most likely to be problematic.

The people who run production studios for designers would only upgrade at .5 or .6… I’m not that conservative, mostly I just use the Apple software and it’s pretty well tested.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
I’m not sure if I will be as quick to update to Sonoma as I was to Ventura, which I upgraded to at the .1 update. I have a few more apps and really want to play Baldur’s Gate 3 with my cousin, so first want to see if everything works as intended.

In my experience everything has worked much better in Sonoma then Ventura for months

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Pretty good sign M3 Macs are a spring event especially since Tim Cook was empahsizing the MacBook Air is the best laptop. Pushing holiday sales.
When Tim mentioned that WWDC 2023 Mac intros and commented we had introduced the best 15" laptop, the 15" MBA, he was being clever with his words, because the MacBook Pro laptops are 14" and 16". Not to mention the very popular 13" MBA. As you said he was diffidently pushing holiday sales. ;)

Mac mini power user

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2021
Leuven, Belgium
This probably means that there will be no October event, although we did get one in 2018, featuring the new iPad Pros, redesigned MacBook Air with Retina display, and the new Mac mini. Now, however, I don't think we'll get one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.