macOS what's next?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, May 21, 2017.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

I really hope Apple steps up the game in terms of new features and UI stuff.

Microsoft is coming up with pretty cool stuff:

I hope we get to see some bigger features than last year.

AND please a complete system wide dark mode.

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Microsoft at this point since Windows 8 are like a monkey flinging poo at the wall to see what sticks.

They've got no idea. The beta feedback for 8 was "you guys are crazy". They ignored it.

edit:
    And yes my work machines are Windows 10. I was an early Windows 10 adopter; it's my job (i do enterprise SOE deployment). Doesn't mean i like it.

3. Justaguy48 macrumors member

Microsoft should really rebrand windows. When I use my Surface Pro 4, even with almost everything being installed from the windows store, the OS still feels bulky and sluggish. But when I use my MacBook Pro, or even just the 12 inch MacBook, macOS feels so much lighter, even if it has more programs and background stuff running.

I'm not sure why that is, maybe because I grew up with XP and so I can only see what windows was, but it just doesn't feel as light and "zippy" as macOS.

And yes I use Windows on a Surface Pro 4, and a desktop so it definitely not because of the Surface's specs.

4. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

I fail to see what either OS can add that would be the WOW factor we've had in the past. We've gotten to a point where there isn't much left... at least not for a while.

5. Justaguy48 macrumors member

I really can't either. Both are at a point of maturity that there will be improvements, but nothing mind blowing. On the hardware side there is a lot that can be improved, like adding LTE to MacBooks, but software side both systems are pretty complete.

Now I think what we will see start to happen, and I think this is more true on windows than Mac is legacy stuff will start to be removed. A lot of legacy has already been removed from the Mac, and with APFS it'll remove even more, but windows still has a lot of work to do to get rid of all that legacy stuff.

6. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Yes. I'm still a little pissed about losing SCSI support. LOL.

7. dotcomee macrumors newbie

They both have their good and bad points. Few people can truly argue subjectively about this subject. Feature wise they are pretty similar nowadays and MacOS feels faster in some respects, but in others Windows 10 feels faster.

I used to think that Apple had the best UI engineers, but I don't think they have really innovated much in the last 5 years or so. Windows has caught up and given you a lot of the same tricks to be just as productive.

I used to HEAVILY prefer MacOS, now I tend to prefer Windows 10. I could use either and be happy to be honest.

Also, Apple hardware used to be head and shoulders above Windows hardware. Again, Apple has not innovated much (at all) and now Windows machines have really caught up here.

Windows machines are also cheaper and give you more hardware options (for those of us who actually like NVIDIA).

Anybody who claims one is better than the other at this point is _most likely_ a fan boy.

8. Jyby macrumors 6502

I think what you're missing from how you see Apple products is the idea of
    refinement. I very much enjoy the trackpads, keyboards, and overall ergonomics of Apple products.

I mean PC manufacturers still make laptops with super awkward and unresponsive trackpads. And they can still be big and bulky.

I definitely would pay the premium to someone who thought about making a good product rather than to someone who just makes products.

wrt graphics, I see a huge potential in eGPUs. Once that is practical, there really isn't a need for a gaming PC, except CPU maybe.

9. Varmann macrumors member

- A better and more powerful finder is on my wish-list.

- Split iTunes into several programs, please gives us a dedicated neat music player with flexible library functions (and FLAC support), not a franken-player like now.

- More flexible scaling on high res displays.

- Better tools to monitor network connected devices

- Use your iPhone as a remote input device and monitoring tool

- One of the main reasons I came back to Mac 9 years ago was the, then, very open framework. You had a very high compability with other systems, be it Windows, Linux, System 9 or others. There was a dedication to approach the professional sector with servers, server OS tools and opening towards ZFS. With a MacPro you were open to a wide variety of hardware configurations. Unfortunately it has slowly gone in the opposite direction for a while now, more and more fenced in, both in software and hardware.

10. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Agreed. I want a separate Podcast app, separate videos/Apple TV app, separate Store app and separate Apple Music (manager/player) app.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Fix Finder. Make it multithreaded properly, and fix networking.

Split iTunes up and go back to the old ways. Make iTunes great again!

12. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Look, the really exciting stuff is happening on iOS. And that's a good thing IMO. The role of macOS is to be the relatively stable foundation that works like we expect and are used to. It's to get stuff done.