Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MetalBL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
I've been googling for months, and have asked on here before, with a lost account. I need actual help, and not replies like 'I don't know.'

My Terminal is broken. When it opens, it displays a message and does not allow me to type. I cannot interact with the window.
The window is not frozen, but no data or characters on the Terminal can be changed. All the menus work.

I'm on a Mac OS X - Snow Leopard 10.6.4 :apple:

Here is an image of the problem.
terminalglitch.png

Please help. I'm at a loss, and I really need help.

Hydramus

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Hello there, what I would check first is whether this happens in another account on the computer. Just create one then open terminal in that one.

If it logs into Terminal without any issues, then go to the home account of your broken one and do an `ls -la` to look for either a .bashrc, .cshrc or .tcshrc or anything along those lines. They may have something wrong with them.

Also what is your username for the account that has a broken Terminal? It doesn't happen to begin with a "-" does it somehow?

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Uh-um. Yeah, it has a dash in it's name. That's bad?

I just created an account named -Test. When I opened Terminal in that account, I got an error like the one you got.

No such error occurred on an account named Test-Acc.

So, do you have a hyphen as the first character in your user name? Also, is this a Standard or an Admin account?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.