MacPaint?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pinsrw, Jul 28, 2010.

1. pinsrw macrumors regular

Hi all,

Does anybody here know whatever became of MacPaint?

I recently switched to the Mac from Windows, where I used MS Paint fairly often, and I don't see anything equivalent.

I've compiled and used Paintbrush2 on the Mac but that appears to be an abandoned project i.e. they didn't add many functions to it.

Is there a 1:1 equivalent of MS Paint or MacPaint for OS/X that's free?

Thanks for any help.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What is Pantbrush 2 not doing for you? I still use it and it works just fine. It is the best MS Paint replacement I have found that is free.

3. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular

It has a few problems.

When it writes bmp files, it writes in 8 bits per pixel format whereas most software expects 24 or 32 uncompressed, necessitating that I use ImageMagick to fix them.

Another issue I think was that pasting did not work. I'd cut a rectangular region and try to paste it, then save, and the saved image would be blank. Or maybe it was iPhoto that did that, I'm not sure.

Anyway for a program that has so many source files, it does a lot less than expected.

I'm actually inclined to just use MS Paint from within Wine. It's available here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntwks40/paint/1/nt4/en-us/paintnt.exe

4. stagmeister macrumors regular

5. pinsrw thread starter macrumors regular