macplus no screen

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by max¥¥, Nov 27, 2008.

1. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

I stated up my mac plus the other day and the screen did not come up, but some times if you hit it, it will start working

2. MacTech68, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

If the screen is entirely black when the picture goes away (ie not a horizontal or vertical line), this is more than likely dry/cracked solder joints on the connector that joins the motherboard to the Power/Sweep board. Resolder all those pins (on the Power/Sweep board) and don't forget the one that is spaced one pin away from all the others at one end - usually the culprit.

The cable that plugs onto that connector may also need cleaning or just re-seating.

WARNING: There are live parts inside! Take appropriate measures and be careful!

This pdf might also be useful:

macintosh_plus_sm.pdf

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I can confirm what MacTech68 said if the image just disappears from the Macplus. This happened to mine when I was using it in Uni ( '95! :eek: ), if memory serves the diagnosis was cracked soldering and the repair job cost a whopping $15 ... just incase you're not comfortable with a DYI repair. :)

4. max¥¥ thread starter macrumors 6502a

yep the screen goes entirely black:mad:

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Yup, I had a Plus that we tossed out in the early 90s for the same reason. You'd have to smack the side of the case every other day to get the video to turn on. Eventually, smacking it did nothing. We should have just fixed it instead of tossing it, but hey that was 15 years ago. Who knew?

6. MacTech68, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Yes... :(

Every time I think of the 30 odd Mac 128's we threw away years ago, my heart sinks and I die a little inside.

:eek:

:(

7. flushrace macrumors newbie

Raid, would you happen to know of anyplace I can send my macplus for repairs today? It just fried on me last weekend, it still powers on but no beep, no screen.

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well at the time I took mine to the University computer shop, but maybe now I'd take it to my nearest Mac dealer... hopefully there's an enthusiast there that will be keen on getting your computer back up and running (and understands why you want to keep it running). I hope your problem to is a simple solder job too!

9. max¥¥ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its a bit late but if you would like to know I have taken mine into a tv repair shop befor, probabley will again after christmas to get the screen fixed again:mad: