"Macports" is a massive time drain, and a joke.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xcodeaddict, Mar 8, 2013.

1. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Been installing this crappy video editor for someone, called "Kdenlive", using "macports", and thus far it has taken NINE HOURS to download all the source code, futz about with it, compile doo-daa-whatsit etc, AND IT STILL has not finished!

Why do people even bother writing this junk? If it were me, I'd rather pay whatever it is for Final Cut Pro X and be done with it.

One final annoyance - whoever writes this piffle refers to the specifics of Mac OS X as if they are a n00b to Mac OS X, and they use terms that are relevant to Linux, and miss out OBVIOUS things (I think the Linux crowd, of which I am a member, is more used to doing things the hard, convoluted way!).

Does anyone else detest "macports"? 9+ hours to download, compile (WHY COMPILE?!!) and install a video editor that has yet to be tested as working, is simply INSANE!

It may be "free software", but the part I think they forgot is that it does NOT free up your time!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My experience with Macports has been equal to any Linux repository I've dealt with over the years. I've certainly never had a package take 9 hours to download and install.

B

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That's because you don't know how much goes into creating the programs you use. They have to be compiled from source, requiring the tools needed to compile the source code, which not all comes from Apple, let alone Xcode.

So you need those to do what you need to have done. And if you trust pre-compiled binaries from a 3rd party (read: not Apple), which any trojan could be in there (for example, that could rm -rf / ), then you may be shooting yourself in the foot by allowing them on your Mac in the first place.

So it isn't a waste of time, especially if you know what you are doing, and know what it takes to get what you want done. I don't know if you know what that is..

BL.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

There's yer solution, right there. From everything posted so far, it appears to be within your power to apply that solution and "be done with it".

Or is someone else forcing you to build and use Kdenlive?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Alternatively find a Linux distro that is KDE based and has a pre-compiled package of KDENLiive and install that in Virtualbox?

B

6. xcodeaddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Great idea, have done so many times... or just stick to Mac OS X ;)

----------

Yes, the customer has specified this junk.

7. chown33 macrumors 604

In what way, exactly?

Are you a contractor or an employee? Did they require you to perform the work using specific tools, or that the final work product be in a particular format?

If you're a contractor, then the choice of tools is yours, not theirs. If the final product is delivered in an acceptable format, then they can't dictate how the work is done. By dictating specific rules for performing the work, they are taking on the role of an employer, which has tax implications for you and for them (as well as other implications, including their requirement to supply you with the working tools to perform the job).

If you're an employee, then maybe you can tell them it's not your job to build the tools. Unless that is part of your job.

If Kdenlive is the only tool that can produce the final format, maybe there's an alternative production path that uses FCP for production and only Kdenlive for final format conversion.

8. xcodeaddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

NSCustomer *Customer = [[NSCustomer alloc]initWithFormat:Friend]; :p

Customer: "Hi Matt, I need Kdenlive installed on my MacBook"

Me: "Okay. I'll see if it can be done"

They specified Kdenlive; simple, as they're intelligent (or a sucker for punishment) enough to know they need it, as it is the only tool that offers the feature they need, end of.

Not quite sure how you got onto the subject of tax... :-S
    Thank you :)

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Because you wrote "customer", not "friend", which suggests a primarily commercial interest rather than a personal one.

When I've done work for friends, I never thought of them as customers or clients, simply friends I'm doing work for.

10. xcodeaddict thread starter macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Okay.

Have a nice day or night :)

thank you.

11. keeptruthfree macrumors newbie

It's a long COMPLETELY-WRONG story. It begins with the Fink project and bitter criminals from Tenon Software. Essentially, they're punishing us for not wanting to buy their "X11 with OpenGL Hardware Acceleration".

EVERY version of linux uses the binary mirror system. We on Mac are still being punished for nothing 15 years later.

The guy to blame calls himself Ranger Rick. Morons will try to justify this as okay - but it's insane and NOT okay.