Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
There's not yet an installer, there's standard advice to build from source.

I thought first of the Subversion approach and there's https://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.subversion but there's no svn with build 16A319 of the operating system, so I went to https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html#osx where …

… there's an option to use MacPorts for installation of Subversion.

There are alternative approaches – I installed Homebrew to install Subversion, and so on – but the circularity above tickled me …

:)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
It wasn't present with 16A319 installed from my bootleg copy of the installer :eek: and I doubt that bootleggers were responsible for the removal :D

I wondered whether installation of Xcode would bring with it an installation of svn, see below but it didn't.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Xcode does install svn in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin. I do not think Xcode actually installs developer tools into /usr/bin anymore. According to pkgutil, at least 10.11.6 has /usr/bin/svn in its package list.

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Xcode does install svn in /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

Weird, I did command svn after installing Xcode, Terminal behaved as if it was not installed. But truly, it is present at
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/svn

Maybe I should have quit then relaunched Terminal before retrying the svn command.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/svn is not in $PATH, so it will not find it like that. svn should be installed independently from this in /usr/bin, at least that is the case in El Capitan.

Reactions: grahamperrin

mathpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/svn is not in $PATH, so it will not find it like that. svn should be installed independently from this in /usr/bin, at least that is the case in El Capitan.

You need to install the Command Line Tools separately for macOS 10.12 and Xcode 8. You have to download this separately from the developer.apple.com and install it yourself. This will be everything you need (compilers, make, etc.) in /usr/bin, as well as providing the header files in /usr/include, which you will need if you want to compile any tools from source. Apple posted a new version of Command Line Tools for macOS 12 on Sept. 12, I believe.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
You need to install the Command Line Tools separately for macOS 10.12 and Xcode 8. You have to download this separately from the developer.apple.com and install it yourself. This will be everything you need (compilers, make, etc.) in /usr/bin, as well as providing the header files in /usr/include, which you will need if you want to compile any tools from source. Apple posted a new version of Command Line Tools for macOS 12 on Sept. 12, I believe.

I did install the command line tools today (18th September), and that installation – the familiar series of software update-style on-screen dialogues, without App Store – did precede App Store installation of Xcode. Maybe later I'll look at the bill of materials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.