Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
2x2.8 GHz '08 Mac Pro w/12 GB RAM and Intel SSD for System.

OK, I did the upgrade to ML as I was hoping that it would be a better experience than Lion. Well ...

With my ancient HD2600 Radeon the scrolling actually seems a bit smoother even as Mission Control feels far more clunky. Jury is out.

My two different Apple IDs caused some interesting problems with iCloud. Still trying to sort it out. Jury is out.

Kernel panics .. now three in a few days waking up from sleep. Bad.

Any others experiencing panics and graphics issues?

unclegit

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
2x2.8 GHz '08 Mac Pro w/12 GB RAM and Intel SSD for System.

OK, I did the upgrade to ML as I was hoping that it would be a better experience than Lion. Well ...

With my ancient HD2600 Radeon the scrolling actually seems a bit smoother even as Mission Control feels far more clunky. Jury is out.

My two different Apple IDs caused some interesting problems with iCloud. Still trying to sort it out. Jury is out.

Kernel panics .. now three in a few days waking up from sleep. Bad.

Any others experiencing panics and graphics issues?

Multi monitor display is ******** if you use rotated displays - as long as you don't want to rotate displays the rest seems OK so far to me. *shrug*

Given apple's recent abandonment of the pro market I'd be prepared for a wait on patches until they get the facebook integration competed
:rolleyes:

kendall69

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Mountain Lion on 2008 mac is the WORST

My advice do not load Mountain Lion on 2008 Mac Pros. You will be sorry - I was. I reinstalled 10.7

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
MP3,1 2x2.8 GHz '08 Mac Pro w/4 GB RAM here.

ML works fine, no issues.

So its either your hardware (failing) or your hands.

kernel panic text will tell you more.

bengi

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Mountain Lion, MP 3.1, quad 2x3.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT, 256 GB SSD, aftermarket airport card that supports Airdrop, Adobe CS 6, absolutely flawless. I can wait 1-2 years to see what apple decides.

Last edited:

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
My advice do not load Mountain Lion on 2008 Mac Pros. You will be sorry - I was. I reinstalled 10.7

Hm, why ? If you have old HDD as system disk, and 2600XT crap....you can not have them forever.
Rest of the 2008 system is still very powerful. With 5770 and SSD, it is just fantastic !

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I plan to upgrade sometime. I think I'll wait at least a month this time to upgrade, rather than immediately.

I've upgraded through the years, with SSD boot/home directories, 14GB RAM, etc. The 8800 video card is still stock.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Another kernel panic this morning after sleeping the MP overnight. There was a funky image on the display - it looked like a test pattern - at wake up that leads to the panic and forced re-boot. I am wondering if it is video card related.

I meant to read through the panic text but was too sleepy at the time.

Michael Perez

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2007
A 3,1 with an EFI-flashed NVidea 570GTX. No problems, no kernel panics, just a mouse cursor that went missing when running VLC once but reappeared when I clicked a mouse button.

I couldn't be happier. :D

Michael

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Ok, in this thread there are few people who installed Mountain Lion on Mac Pro 3.1.

Did you have any problems with USB mouse or keyboard during setup or after ?
Do you use I/O USB device at all ?

What excact build did you install ? Quite a few people had problems with USB peripherals in ML including me......there must be some logic how did you install with no problems.... bluetooth peripherals, other USB PCIe card.....something...:(

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion on my MP 3,1. I have a PCIe card with two 6GB SATA III ports, my boot drive is an OWC 3G 120G SSD connected to this card and it boots fine. All my drive bays are full and I have one additional 3.5" drive in my lower optical bay where my SSD is also and I have a BR writer in my other optical bay and 16GB of RAM. I have not experienced any issues with ML other then sometimes it has issues with my external USB drive which I use for Time Machine, on reboots it sometimes says it cannot mount the drive. No other issues with any other USB peripherals and overal the speed of ML is faster then Lion.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have a MacPro 3,1 with dual 2.8GHz Quad Core Xeon, 16GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5870 video, 256GB SSD boot drive, 2TB RAID 0 (2-disk) data disk. I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion on release day with no problems during the upgrade, or after (so far).

I use Time Machine to an external RAID connected to a dual eSATA PCIe card, have both bluetooth and USB mice and keyboards and bluetooth trackpad. All are working fine.

So ... no problems here so far ... :)

-howard

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Thank you guys (ashman70 & hfg) ;)

Anyone did clean install on Mac Pro 3.1 with no issues ?

unclegit

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
Thank you guys (ashman70 & hfg) ;)

Anyone did clean install on Mac Pro 3.1 with no issues ?

I had issues with my rotated displays - so I nuked the SSD and reinstalled clean.

Issue still exists with the displays being unable to run in 90 degree mode - but everything else seems fine with the exception my external powered USB hub has gone south - but that could be a cable issue or a number of other things I need to dig into. It's a bit of a rats nest in the cable run.

The rotated display issue is my only problem do far - but I'm still re-installing everything. Pretty ironic that the only monitor I can rotate is the one hooked up to the unsupported 570GTX card and the "Official 8800GT card" is exhibiting the problem :D

Specs:

Mac Pro 3,1
OCZ-Agility3 SSD
GeForce 8800GT
GeForce 570GTX 1.3Gb

Last edited:

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Other than kernel panics (!) and clunky video performance, I don't see much else in the way of issues. My iCloud issue is more a consequence of the design of the service than anything else.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I installed ML on my 3.1 and have had no issues including using a secondary display rotated 90 degrees.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
clunky video performance??
This is what is most interesting to me, how are the updated video drivers in ML?

anyone on a 3,1 did a geekbench before going to ML and redid the test after the upgrade to ML? if you did, iam very interested in the numbers...

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
I wish I had done a Geekbench before and after, but I did not.

Now I can report that in addition to "clunky" video performance, Mission Control just stops working - with swipes, via function keys and even the Preference. Just goes away.

I should add that I am using two monitors - a Mac 30" and a NEC 271W. Two monitors have their own set of foibles even in previous OS versions.

vimipa

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
how to reinstall Lion over ML?

After installing ML I've had three days of problems - basically the Mac HD disappears. After several attempts I've managed to fix it, and Disk Utilities reports that the disk is ok.

I want to go back to Lion! Can someone post step by step instructions please?

I've looked in the App Store and Lion is not offered. Also tried Utilities Reinstall but it only offers ML.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I wish I had done a Geekbench before and after, but I did not.

Don't worry about that. It would not have told you anything. ML does nothing to lower processor or memory performance. Which is all GB tests. :cool:

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
if you have unofficial Mac Pro AirPort card installed - remove it - USB will work just fine :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.