MacPro '09 quad... Which winOS for Rhino/Maya/Maxwell/CS4...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by whyrichard, Sep 12, 2009.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I'm running xp pro on my bootcamp partition, but i was wondering if i should take advantage of my new mac pro's hardware and upgrade my windows os to something else other then xp pro...

On windows I run software such as: rhino 4, maya 8.5, maxwell render, cs4, etc....

generally stuff that would love to take advantage of my 8 gigs of ram....

whats the word on this?

thanks,

r.

2. ymarker macrumors member

It is unclear why you chose to run cs4 on win when there is a native mac version for it. Regardless, if you have 8gb of ram your win xp isn't using it. Get Win 7 x64

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i run cs4 on the windows side because i often need to go back and forth between the modeling software and cs4.

what are the downsides of windows 7? i am just beginning to hear about it...

will all my basic drivers be available? will it work with parallels? will it work with rhino 4 maya 8.5 etc? don't keep track of the windows feeble march "forwards".

r.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

if i understand correctly isn't windows 7 in beta? i don't want to have to reinstall my workstation to keep up with betas....?

... should it be windows xp 64 or vista 64?

r.