Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LRD777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Hello,

Is there a way to upgrade my macpro 1,1 with a faster processor? If this ? was already addressed, pls send me a link to the thread. I'm not a techie so all the tech words won't help me. I just need a parts seller and what type exactly do I need if it is possible. Thanks guys and gals for the help!

Warmly,

T

P.S. Does anyone also know why my macpro running 10.6.7 has almost always "permissions" corrupted issues? I almost have to run drive genius every other week...I am running Creative Suite, 3GB memory, 250GB HD, 1.5 TB external USB HD.

Every time I run Photoshop, Safari slows down and other programs...Then I run the Drive Genius and that's what it tells me : Permissions, invalid map node, it should be L-XX-R instead of yada, yada...LoL

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
P.S. Does anyone also know why my macpro running 10.6.7 has almost always "permissions" corrupted issues? I almost have to run drive genius every other week...
You should rarely have to repair permissions. What makes you think you have permissions issues?

Last edited:

100Years

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
I had a Pro 1,1. Originally it was the stock dual 2.66GHz quad core configuration. Eventually I upgraded the machine to an 8-core, by dropping in two 3GHz quad core chips --- gave me a very big performance boost.

LRD777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
I had a Pro 1,1. Originally it was the stock dual 2.66GHz quad core configuration. Eventually I upgraded the machine to an 8-core, by dropping in two 3GHz quad core chips --- gave me a very big performance boost.
Nice! You mean a chip or a new machine. If it's a chip/card please send me info in how and where to acquire it...Thx brother!

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Is there a way to upgrade my macpro 1,1 with a faster processor?
You can get 8 cores by using a pair of 53xx series Xeons in your machine.
Just search the CPU's P/N (i.e. X5365) online for pricing (you may even be able to find a used pair on eBay for a really good price, which will definitely be cheaper than new, which will still be expensive).

How-To.​
BTW, searching first goes a long way with users = they're more willing to help you out. ;) I realize you may not have known what to search to find the How-To I linked, but even asking for the terms would indicate you're willing to do your own research rather than have it handed to you.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be mean, but get you to realize it can be perceived as laziness on your part (this sort of thing seems to be getting more frequent :().

LRD777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Just search the CPU's P/N (i.e. X5365) online for pricing (you may even be able to find a used pair on eBay for a really good price, which will definitely be cheaper than new, which will still be expensive).

How-To.​
BTW, searching first goes a long way with users = they're more willing to help you out. ;) I realize you may not have known what to search to find the How-To I linked, but even asking for the terms would indicate you're willing to do your own research rather than have it handed to you.

Please understand, I'm not trying to be mean, but get you to realize it can be perceived as laziness on your part (this sort of thing seems to be getting more frequent :().
No brother. I don't take it as a mean thing. It's a good thing. I'll do the best I can. If I get stuck, I'll just post another question. Thanks again!

LRD777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011

How-To.​

BTW, do I need to buy 2 of these Intel® Xeon® Processor X5365
(8M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)? It's okay. Never mind...Thanks!

Last edited:

LRD777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011

How-To.​

Do you know of hand what's the highest GHZ it can be converted to? I saw on eBay a X5365 3.0 GHZ...

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
BTW, do I need to buy 2 of these Intel® Xeon® Processor X5365
(8M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)? It's okay. Never mind...Thanks!
You don't have to install a pair, but if you only use a single 53xx, then it will still be a Quad core machine (each CPU in that family is a Quad core). Nor do you have to use the X5365, as there are others in the family (slower clock speeds). But the X5365 is the fastest you can get for it (highest clock speed in that series).

Another thing you may want to consider, is how long you're planning to keep that machine for OS X use, as their upgrade paths are already compromised and will end (that doesn't mean the system is totally useless, but it will mean you'd be stuck to whatever hardware and OS version when the cut-off occurs). For example, if you intended to run Windows or Linux, it would have a longer upgrade life, as both 64 bit Windows/Linux and PC hardware will run on those machines. It's just OS X that's going to be affected in the near future (assuming Apple does follow through on their intent not to support a dual Kernel OS any longer than they have to, which there isn't any real question as to this happening or not, but when it will). Doesn't appear to be far off, as they've already started it with the GT120 (first EFI64 only nVidia card).

The reason for this, is the 2006/7 models use EFI32. nVidia cards have switched over to EFI64 exclusively, so those will no longer work (ATI's do ATM, as they use EBC = runs in both EFI32 and EFI64 machines). Even ATI support could disappear if the drivers go to 64 bit only. On the software side, it can only run a 32 bit Kernel (aka K32), which Apple's indicated awhile back that they won't support for all that long (seems 10.7 probably will, as the developer releases of Lion do contain both K32 and K64). But I wouldn't expect this to be the case with 10.8 given their announced intent.

Just something to think about if you weren't already aware of these issues.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You kidding me? I do that on a weekly basis.
You shouldn't be. Many people repair permissions when they don't need to, thinking it's a "fix-all", not understanding what it encompasses. Many others don't understand the messages they see when repairing permissions. If you truly have ongoing permissions issues, it's better to diagnose and fix the cause.

LRD777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
You shouldn't be. Many people repair permissions when they don't need to, thinking it's a "fix-all", not understanding what it encompasses. Many others don't understand the messages they see when repairing permissions. If you truly have ongoing permissions issues, it's better to diagnose and fix the cause.
I use the latest drive genius software. That's what it tells me. So I click repair....I just found a 1TB new HD on eBay. I will replace the old drive.

LRD777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
You don't have to install a pair, but if you only use a single 53xx, then it will still be a Quad core machine (each CPU in that family is a Quad core). Nor do you have to use the X5365, as there are others in the family (slower clock speeds). But the X5365 is the fastest you can get for it (highest clock speed in that series).

Another thing you may want to consider, is how long you're planning to keep that machine for OS X use, as their upgrade paths are already compromised and will end (that doesn't mean the system is totally useless, but it will mean you'd be stuck to whatever hardware and OS version when the cut-off occurs). For example, if you intended to run Windows or Linux, it would have a longer upgrade life, as both 64 bit Windows/Linux and PC hardware will run on those machines. It's just OS X that's going to be affected in the near future (assuming Apple does follow through on their intent not to support a dual Kernel OS any longer than they have to, which there isn't any real question as to this happening or not, but when it will). Doesn't appear to be far off, as they've already started it with the GT120 (first EFI64 only nVidia card).

The reason for this, is the 2006/7 models use EFI32. nVidia cards have switched over to EFI64 exclusively, so those will no longer work (ATI's do ATM, as they use EBC = runs in both EFI32 and EFI64 machines). Even ATI support could disappear if the drivers go to 64 bit only. On the software side, it can only run a 32 bit Kernel (aka K32), which Apple's indicated awhile back that they won't support for all that long (seems 10.7 probably will, as the developer releases of Lion do contain both K32 and K64). But I wouldn't expect this to be the case with 10.8 given their announced intent.

Just something to think about if you weren't already aware of these issues.
Thanks for the info brother. How about using it as a server running linux or unix?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Thanks for the info brother. How about using it as a server running linux or unix?
Absolutely.

It's even built out of server grade hardware (Xeons and ECC memory, so it can take the punishment of 24/7 operation (presume you mean to use something other than OS X in order to have a longer upgrade path in terms of software).

LRD777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Absolutely.

It's even built out of server grade hardware (Xeons and ECC memory, so it can take the punishment of 24/7 operation (presume you mean to use something other than OS X in order to have a longer upgrade path in terms of software).
Yes! Use it other than OS X. Thanks brother. I might hit you up another time if I can't find the answer. Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.