Macpro 2.0 to Octo

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by newportmac, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. newportmac macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2007
    #1
    Instead of putting off the purchase any longer waiting for the inevitable to happen, would it be an idea to just buy a refurbished 2.0 right now and upgrade to an octo when the prices drop? Is it anything more than dropping in 2 new chips? Is the mother board the same as the stock 2.66? Thoughts appreciated.
     
  2. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

    Sean Dempsey

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #2
    Upgradin the CPU's is hard as it is, who knows what the process will be in the next iteration of upgrades.

    I highly would discourage this plan.
     
  3. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #3
    Two quad Harpertowns will probably cost you over $1400. You may be able to get Clovertown at the point, but I imagine they would still be $1000. Your 2.0s will not be worth very much at that point either.

    I wouldn't do it. Not to mention warranty implications. But of course to each their own.
     
  4. Tracer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #4
    Interesting Idea.

    I first recommend reading http://www.o0o.it/pro

    E5320 Quad Core's cost $255 Shipped Buy It Now on Ebay.

    8-Cores @ 2.33GHZ for $510 doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me.

    Say goodbye to your Warranty!

    Tracer.
     
  5. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #5
    That guy used way too much thermal paste...

    Anyhow, my pricing was based on buying price equivalent CPUs, of course you can get the cheaper ones.

    My problem is warranty. Plus, there would seemingly be other things coming with an update. While my hardware tweaking jones says yes, the other part of me says no.
     
  6. Tracer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #6
    Agreed, Too much Thermal Paste Suneo.

    But, if you can pick up a Used not Refurb Mac Pro 2.0GHZ without AppleCare for a steal, I'd say go for it.

    However, I doubt that many of these systems exist.

    Good Luck.

    Tracer
     
  7. newportmac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2007
    #8
    This was quick.. After reading the above article on steps necessary to upgrade.. it isnt a project for me.. Thanks.. I'll be waiting for Steve to update the Mac Pro before forking over my $2500 bucks....
     
  8. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #9
    Quoting myself from lastnight.
     
  9. newportmac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2007
    #10
    $1956.. thats one thing I can never figure out.. Why do people spend so much on eBay for a used one when for the same money they can get a new one off Amazon or a refurbished off Apple with a warranty.. crazy if you ask me..
     
  10. Multimedia macrumors 603

    Multimedia

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2001
    Location:
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    #11
    I'm With Tracer & Suneohair That It's Not Worth The Risk

    I got an exceptional deal - can't use Tracer's word but it applies - for a previously owned only since June 12th - not really used much at all - Quad 2.66 just arriving tomorrow from Miami. But I still wouldn't do it because the next SS motherboard with Harpertowns will be a lot more than just going to 8 cores and be a lot more powerful for today's 4 core prices.

    Now if you can find one of those 2GHz Mac Pros for like $1k then I would say go for it as well. But kiss off the warranty - you're on your own. Anything goes wrong and you will pay a fortune for out of warranty fixings.

    Vs. $3,399 for a 3GHz 8 core refurb plus $200 for the AppleCare warranty for the next 3 years.
     
  11. Tracer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #12
    At least wait for Leopard to see if it is able to help with 8-Cores.

    Wow, paying ~$1,900 for a STOCK 2.0GHZ Mac Pro, is very, very silly.

    If anyone's in the market, I know of a seller with:

    2.66GHZ Dual's
    2GB Ram (4x512)
    Add'l 500GB hard drive (And Stock 250)

    For $2,000 and shipping.

    Sorry to switch the OP's topic, but PM if your interested (and no it's not mine).

    Tracer
     
  12. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #13
    Yep, far better to buy the refurb or wait.
     

Share This Page