MacPro 2008 Won't Recognize 2 Extra SATA Ports?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by astrostu, Aug 13, 2009.

1. astrostu macrumors 6502

This is a really weird question, but here'goes: I just got my internal blu-ray burner. I hooked it up, removing the fans and all that jazz to get the SATA cable plugged in. Turned on the computer, and the drive was not recognized.

I know it has power, since I can operate it manually (but no disks inserted are recognized in System Profiler nor Toast). Oh, and in the System Profiler under Serial-ATA it does list 6 ports (though 2 with hard drives, 1 and 4-6 are empty).

I fiddled around, made sure cables were plugged in, still nothing.

Then I tried to just plug in one of my extra internal hard drives through the connectors I was using for the 2nd optical drive (power and SATA cable). It won't recognize the hard drive (doesn't seem to even know it's there).

Any ideas here? I'm at a pretty much total loss other than thinking that the two extra SATA ports on my motherboard are dead.

2. aibo macrumors 6502

3. astrostu thread starter macrumors 6502

The power is from the extra power supply coming off the first drive.

Anyway, after 3.5 hrs, problem solved. I learned that SATA ports are not hot-swappable. As in, one must turn off computer and then fiddle with them and then turn on. I figured that out by just trying to put that drive back in while the computer was on, and it didn't realize it was there. So on restarting, it realized that SOMETHING was there when I had the extra hard drive put into one of the extra two SATA ports on the motherboard, but it couldn't figure out it was a hard drive. It just spun its wheels for 5 minutes and then just gave an error in the System Profiler.

So now that I knew it WAS recognizing that SOMETHING was there, I tried the optical drive again. It worked!

So, I'm really not sure what the problem was. I am 99.9% sure it was not an issue of the cable being plugged in all the way, as I checked that multiple times ... 2-3 hrs ago. But otherwise, as to why it wasn't working before but is now, I'm at a loss. I'm sure anyone reading this will probably assume it was a loose cable, but as I said, I can almost positively assure you it wasn't. ;)

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

You do realize that you are lucky that you didn't fry your motherboard don't you? NEVER, EVER plug or unplug something without having the power shut off. The exception is USB devices...

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I just had a discussion abou this with nanfrog in another thread:

In OS X the ODD-SATA ports are alwways in AHCI mode. But it appears that they are also not hot swappable. So you have to power down the board to have them recognized by the OS. I agree with SurfLord that it is bad practise to risk a 700$ board by fiddling these ports when they are juiced.

6. kingkezz macrumors regular

Unless things have changed in six months, you won't be able to use Encore to author Blu-Ray using those free SATA ports. Encore will crash. I had to get a SATA-IDE adapter to use my BD burner in my early 08 mac pro.

7. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The 2006-2008 MP cannot boot from ODs over the ODD-SATA ports due to the EFI not recognizing a SATA boot device.

The 2009 MP has different HDD and ODD devices in the chipset software. The 2 ODD ports are capable of booting from ODs.

8. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

FWIW, this worked beautifully for putting a BR drive in my 2008 MP, boots etc etc...

Sata to Pata Adapter

9. Nadav35 macrumors member

Yes, but..

If you have a SATA optical drive already with the sata port in the back and you convert it to IDE. You might as well have gotten a native IDE optical drive, or does the drive still run at the native SATA SPEED???

this we need to know..

10. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Well the issue was that I wanted to put a bluray drive in the machine, and IDE versions of those don't seem to be too common if available at all. This was the easiest way to get the job done for my purposes. I get full speed out of the drive.

11. madwolf macrumors member

eSATA generally supports hot-plug. OS X I think doesn't support it.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

You need driver support, and the Client Edition of OS X doesn't provide it. So to have it in the Client Ed., you need a card that provides the support with it's drivers (on that card only). But there's no support for Hot Plugging with internal drives, as there's no Inrush Current Limiter. External enclosures can, as they have thier own PSU's, and can be switched ON/OFF after the drive is connected to an eSATA port.