MacPro (2008) won't sleep under Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jjphoto, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jjphoto macrumors newbie

I've been using Lion since it's launch but just lately I have noticed that my MacPro (early 2008) won't sleep. If I use the sleep option under the Apple logo the Mac Cinema Monitor dims but the MacPro itself just carries on whirring. I am aware of the energy saver option in System Prefs but this makes no difference. When the time is reached the monitor goes dim but the machine just carries on.
    Tried SMC reset, PRAM resets, everytime I google the problem it seems to talk about Mac Book Pro not MacPro.
    Any ideas..thanks.

2. jjphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Appreciate the links. Already tried most things but went through it all again and the Mac Pro tower definitely does not go to sleep but the monitor does.
    Found a link to resetting Power Management Chip by pressing a little button on it, that made no difference either.
    Tried "Please sleep" application and that puts the monitor to sleep but not the tower.
    thanks anyway

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you rule out any apps/widgets/processes/extensions/plug-ins, as suggested in those links?

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then look to see what's running that may prevent sleep. Start closing down processes, starting only with ones you're familiar with, until you successfully achieve sleep.

If you've closed all the familiar ones and still no sleep, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the Process name column heading once or twice, so the arrow points upward (alphabetical order).

Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

4. jjphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks GGJStudios

thanks for this GGJStudios. Can't see anything that should be causing this so I have grabbed the shots you suggested.

Attached Files:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just a guess, but try quitting Nalpeirond6 and Nalpeirond6b. Then see if it sleeps. It wouldn't hurt to quit the AAM Updates Notifier, as well.

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

6. jjphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

no go

thanks for looking at this for me. Tried quitting those in the Activity Monitor, did it twice. No difference.
    The MacPro just sits there as the monitor dims when I try to sleep it. The white light on the power button glows steady and the machine itself carries on making the same sounds.
    It performs really well, I've got no issues with that. I'd just like to crack this sleep issue.
    thanks again..John

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you go through the performance tips, especially the first 3? Also, from another thread, here's one sleep problem caused by printers - solved.

8. jjphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe, just maybe!!

followed the link you just gave me and ran the terminal commands. Maybe found something to do with what looks like a printer file. Think I have found it and deleted it. The machine has just gone to sleep!!
    Fingers crossed, thanks so much for the help
    John

9. PeteJames, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

PeteJames macrumors regular

PeteJames

I had a similar issue but fixed it - in console there was a process every 10 seconds keeping my macbook pro awake (even though I uninstalled the app) Find any file revealed some hidden files I needed to delete