Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

streak8047

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2019
I Have MacPro 2009 5.1 try to upgrade cpu ,delided very easy,but removing the solder part take time and not easy as expected ,please advice the below picture has delided processor ,does it need to apply more sanding ,also upgrade 8gb msi graphics card ,power for 8 pin connector directly from dvd connector ,does it affect the performance if power connected from dvd ,another graphics card HD7950 also working

Attachments

• cpu.jpeg
    cpu.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 199
  • psu.jpeg
    psu.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 105

rumorator

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2021
also upgrade 8gb msi graphics card ,power for 8 pin connector directly from dvd connector ,does it affect the performance if power connected from dvd ,another graphics card HD7950 also working
It depends on the exact graphics card you have, and its TDP. Perhaps you could let us know the model? You'll get 40W from the SATA power and 75W from the PCIE slot, giving a total of 115W. I think it's likely the card's TDP will be over this number, so you may have problems.

Are you saying that there's an HD7950 using up the mini-6pin connectors?

Reactions: streak8047

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
Don't know about sanding, sorry.

SATA power spec is 54W max. Two times SATA power would be 108W max. That's not enough for 8-pin connector which can draw up to 150W. I would use those internal motherboard 2x mini 6-pins to 8-pin. Together they are specced to 150W. Then, if you still need another graphics card, make sure it's not wanting to use over 75W extra power besides PCIe slot power, so you can feed that extra power from 2x SATA.

And all that said, maybe you should use forum search and read about Pixlas mod too.

Reactions: streak8047
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.