MacPro 2009 immune to updates past 10.6.2

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by davidlv, Jun 19, 2010.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

We are really stumped by the situation we have here with a Mac Pro 2009 single Quad-core 2.66GHz machine, 8GB RAM (with an additional Pioneer Blue-ray-DVD drive).
    This machine refused to update correctly to 10.6.3 and now to 10.6.4 too, using the combo updater dmgs downloaded from Apple. Update was run from another HD on the target HD, it completed correctly it seemed, but the machine has a kernal crash screen on reboot, booting with the Option key down, literally immediately after hitting the go arrow below the target disk EFI boot icon. :eek: When running the update from the target disk, cloned 10.6.2 system, the installer crashes and kernal panics, rendering it completely non-bootable, and re-cloning to 10.6.2 is required to get the disk functional. The cloned HD with a 10.6.2 system runs fine. We would like to update the Mac Pro to get the benefits of the security updates, otherwise there is no compelling reason. I can only assume we should first try a clean install followed by a combo update to 10.6.4. We tried disconnecting the Pioneer Blue-ray drive, same results. The system has 4 HDs connected internally, and 2 stock nVidea GT120 video cards, driving 3 monitors, the only other possible source of the trouble I can imagine, maybe we should try with only one monitor connected?
    Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the cause of this glitch?
    (Edited 6/20 to update the information inclosed)

2. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Your machine

Is this with the single quad-core or is it dual?

3. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

single quad-core

4. Roman23 macrumors 6502

hey, did u resolve the problem?

Dude, did you resolve the problem with yer mac pro not updating past 10.6.2?

5. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope :(:apple::(
    It will not accept a 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 update. Tried Clean installs, combo installs from known-good cloned 10.6.2 systems, disconnecting the Pioneer BR drive, PRAM clearing previous to a reboot. Running the combo updater on the same drive as the boot drive results in KP during the installation, complete disaster to that HD, requiring making a new partition. Running the combo from another drive while booted from another drive allows the combo updater to seemingly finish OK, but a reboot with the option key down and selecting the target disk results in an immediate KP after pushing the go arrow under the EFI boot icon, no actual startup procedure even initiated.
    We are seriously considering sending the machine into Apple for repairs, as it is still within the 1 year warranty period. I didn't really expect, just hoped for, any help from the forum, as this is a rare case. Actually I am glad no one has been able to help from a similar experience. Believe me, you do not want this problem.
    I think it is hardware related, but cannot figure out what is wrong, as 10.6.2 runs without any problems.

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Try other "standard" tricks: reduce RAM amount to minimum, try with only one graphics card (test both separately), try different drive bay for boot drive and post results after all of this.