MacPro 3.1 10.10.3 and nVidia GeForce 760

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by xariona, Apr 16, 2015.

1. xariona macrumors newbie

Well it seems that I am not out of trouble...

Configuration (Before the Update)

Original Mac Pro Early 2008 (MacPro 3,1)
    8GB RAM (4x2GB)
    nVidia GeForce 760 GTX 2GB GDDR5
    OS X 10.10.1

Configuration (After the Update)

Original Mac Pro Early 2008 (MacPro 3,1)
    4GB RAM (2x2GB)
    nVidia GeForce 760 GTX 2GB GDDR5
    OS X 10.10.3

Ok everything was running fine before the update. Then I did the update (Both nVidia and OS X 10.10.3 via the AppStore) and suddenly 2 of my Memory stick stopped working. How i guessed? The light on front of my computer kept flashing. So I decided to remove the 2 memory stick on the bottom slider. And put one of the two stick on the top slider down and and it rebooted. nothing happened but the computer light wasn't flashing anymore.

I reinstalled my old FX Card (ATI Radeon Mac 3870 512MB GDDR5 in) i did an CMD+ALT+P+R to reset the PRAM settings and then i got access my desktop and changed the OS X Default Drivers to nVidia Web Drivers.

Then I got asked to reboot i clicked "Not Now". I shut down the computer and plugged in my GeForce in and miracle it did boot and was running the nVidia Drivers.

However I had to shut down my computer since I was going to bed.

When I turned it on the next day, the computer didn't want to access the desktop (Normal boot with the black screen as the nvidia card is in) - no flashing light just a regular booting light on the front of the MacPro itself but a dull blank black screen for a good 10 minutes I waited. The drives were in function and all.

So I decided to press the CTRL+ALT+Command and Escape to shut down my computer and it worked... The computer shut itself down. So what am I suppose to do now?

I have 2 memory stick that just "Fried" like that?! The comp dont want to restart when those are in the sliders (I even tried putting them instead of the other 2 and still same result.

I cannot restart my computer without having to change FX card each time to change the drivers it's getting really annoying...

Any suggestions/help at all?

It's annoying to be running with only 4GB memory... :(

2. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

3. xariona thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so it has nothing to do with the update nor anything? I resend them to OWC since they have a life warranty on them so they will send me new ones as soon as they received the package. I got them back in August 2012 so I guess their life expectancy was overdue.