MacPro 3,1 - any rational reason to go beyond Yosemite?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by designer22, Jul 19, 2016.

1. designer22 macrumors member

Has anyone who has taken their 3,1 Pro to El Capitan found it to be worthwhile in the sense of speed, added value of newer apps, etc? Since that will be the top of the ladder for these older macs, I have been holding off, as Yosemite seems to work just fine most of the time. Would like to hear what you have experienced. Thank you.

2. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

I have three separate boot drives: 10.6.8-Spinner 10.8.5-SSD 10.10.5-SSD and a .dmg of 10.11.5
    As you probably have experienced, updating the OS will send unsupported apps to the "incompatible software" folder! If you have some EOL apps you know the problem this will cause! The best test run is to clone your current OS drive and update it. Boot from cloned updated drive and see what's what! If all is fine clone it back to the original or better yet to another drive. This will leave the original unscathed! Test run (10.12) Sierra the same way! :cool:

3. G4DPII macrumors regular

G4DPII

I found El Cap to be a lot slower on my 3,1. I think to see any benefits of upgradingit needs to be on an SSD. I would say the same for Yosemite as well. Although both run without to many issues, Mavericks seems to be the most stable of the recent releases for me.

If and when my original 320HD dies it'll get replaced with a SSD, so might reconsider upgrading, but from a personal point of view, i'll be sticking with 10.9.5 for the forseeable future.

4. designer22 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that has been my pattern when updating - clone and test :) Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2016 ---

Yes, my startup drive has been an SSD for a while now. It does make a difference for sure.

5. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

The Metal support in El Capitan cut FCPx render times in half.

So if your video card is supported by Metal and you use any applications that support Metal, those could see a big improvement.

6. hartleymartin macrumors regular

hartleymartin

My cMP 3,1 works just fine with the latest El Capitan release. I have 8GB of RAM and an SSD for the boot drive. The modern OSX releases require more RAM than what was standard when the Mac Pro was first released, which may become a bottle-neck in the system. Mind you, I don't think I've ever come across a classic Mac Pro that has not had a few upgrades and customisations.

7. nigelbb macrumors 65816

My 3.2GHz 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 works very well with El Capitan & has had various upgrade including 56GB RAM & 2x1TB Evo 850 in RAID0 on Capricorn Velocity PCIe plus flashed 4GB GTX680.

8. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

just a big one : yosemite sucks, move to el capitan.

9. hartleymartin macrumors regular

hartleymartin

This is why we love the Classic Mac Pro Tower configuration. Upgrades, modifications and personalisations.