MacPro 3.2 x8, 8GB RAM, 3TB - how much? (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by homemade, May 29, 2009.

1. homemade macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm currently negotiating with someone over a used 3.2 Octocore Mac Pro.

It's 1 year old & has:
    8 GB RAM (using 6 slots)
    3TB hard disk
    2 year apple care left
    NVIDIA GeForce 880 GT

The harddisk is quite substantial, but not that much of interest to me (1TB would be fine). RAM is much more so a priority (might need to upgrade)

What do you think I should be paying in UK £ ?

Thanks for any advice

Jon

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Around £2,500. Try negotiate down further of course.

A refurb 3.2GHz or 2009 2.26GHz are going to run over £3,000 for similar specs. Check completed listings on eBay if you want a better idea of what they are going for currently.

Likely cost the seller £3,500 if purchased new including VAT.

3. homemade thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply Umbongo,

he was originally asking for £3000, which I did think was steep, but I've got him down to £2500.

I guess it's not a bargain, but not bad either (beats the refurb deal comfortably). They don't seem to come up too often, so I'll probably go for it.

Cheers

Jon

4. homemade thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to vent:

We'd arranged for me to pick it up today. My beautiful new (well, used) octocore.

Got an email from the vendor this morning - he's gone for a higher bidder. Some mug is paying £2900! We had a deal, in writing (albeit an email), and I've withdrawn the cash at a cost of £22 and I'm now going to have to put it back in for same cost (business account).

What a *!*$*!

:mad:

The hunt continues.

:(

5. donbadman macrumors regular

@homemade
    There's one on the refurb section here for £2500 only 500gb HDD and 2GB Ram but you can still get it for a reasonable cost.

:D

6. homemade thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks donbadman, appreciated.
    I'm starting to cool down a bit now :eek:

Tempted by the refurb, but 2GB just doesn't cut it though. I'm looking for a little more bang for my buck, which I think is achievable, especially as I'm buying deprecated technology. I might just hover around ebay and the classifieds a little while longer - hopefully with a little more luck.

ps - anyone else buying a used Mac, watch out for Western Union scams on ebay - I was on the wrong end of one the other week. I was sent an 'ebay purchase protection invoice'. I smelt a rat immediately, but my suspicions further underlined by typos and poor grammar. Ebay confirmed it was a scam. Use Paypal and you can't go wrong.