MacPro 3 drive RAID Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jazz1, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Is a 3 drive RAID0 possible in Apple Disk Utility for a MacPro 2.66? I was told that this was not possible when I went shopping for three drives. I was pretty sure I'd seen three and four drive RAIDs discussed here, but maybe they were different kinds of RAIDs, not a RAID zero. Maybe my question was misunderstood by my salesperson?

2. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I haven't tried it, but I'm pretty sure you can.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Normally when we talk about RAID using more then two drives we are talking about RAID-5. Mac OS can't do software raid5.

You want to concatenate three drives in a raid-0 setup? That's not really a good idea. You'd be three times as likely to loose data then if you did not use RAID.

4. davepk macrumors member

I have a 3 drive WD raptor raid 0 that absolutely screams. The 4th drive serves as a bootable clone and TM storage.

Very robust and reliable.

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

As noted above, you could do a three-drive RAID 0 setup in software, but be sure to have Time Machine backing those babies up every hour. :)

To do a three-drive RAID 5 setup requires a hardware RAID card.

6. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Thanks! I'll be adding a couple of more Raptors as I get the $$$. I do use Time Machine via a Seagate Free Agent USB external.