MacPro 4,1 + ATI 5870 = :-(

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sakaguchinet, May 2, 2011.

1. sakaguchinet macrumors newbie

Hello,

just bought a XFX Radeon 5870 + 2 additional 6-pin cables (from adaptare.de). No flash! OS 10.6.7, MacPro 8-core 2.26

Just put in the card after installing the updated drivers (unzipped, backupped the old ATI-data and replaced by the new). Then I booted up the machine by having one display at the old GT120 (Slot1) and one display at the ATI (Slot 3).

The system profiler said (2 VGAs), that KEXT @ATI could not be loaded. After installing the drivers again I rebooted the machine, and wow, I had 2 working screens with the 2 VGAs. But the performance was very low (SC2 with 30-50FPS). Geekbench told me a lower value than with a benchmarked 4870.

Then tried to put the ATI in slot 1 and take the GT120 out. No bootscreen, no OS screen. Then put the GT120 in Slot 3 and now only the GT120 is making pictures. The ATI still is not working.

What to do now for making me happy?

btw: The ATI is definitely louder than the stock GT120. The noise level seems to be statical (not changing).

2. sakaguchinet thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

after throwing 2 more hours of time into this topic finally I got it working :)

I deleted all ATI kexts from Extensions folder first. Then I excuted the ATI_updated_drivers again. Shut down the beast (compared to my 11" MBA). Extracted the GT120, booted up and voila... both screens are working with the stock DVI ports.

Next I will insert my new OWC SSD to see the improvement compared to my 3yrs old Mtron Mobi SSD.