Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Remedylane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
France
After checking, TRIM is enabled on both disks.

But I am back to square 1: the symptoms I described in post 1 have started again. Maybe the PSU really is faulty... Or it is PCIe/NVMe related?

I will try a new PSU this week-end, as well as removing the NVMe and connecting the SSD via SATA.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Do you have a different video card you can try? Mine returns to normal when pulling the RX580 and putting the HD7970 in it’s place.

I have changed logic boards now, so I’m going to reinstall the RX580 and see what gives.

Remedylane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
France
Now that you're mentioning this, I have exactly the same issue : I flashed the bootROM with my HD7970, and my initial problem was solved, then I replaced the card last Tuesday with my RX580, and the issue is back...

Hadn't thought about it, as before flashing the bootROM to 140.0.0.0 to have NVMe as a boot disk, everything was working as it should with the RX580...

I hope now it is not motherboard related, tell me the results of your tests with your new motherboard.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Now that you're mentioning this, I have exactly the same issue : I flashed the bootROM with my HD7970, and my initial problem was solved, then I replaced the card last Tuesday with my RX580, and the issue is back...

Hadn't thought about it, as before flashing the bootROM to 140.0.0.0 to have NVMe as a boot disk, everything was working as it should with the RX580...

I hope now it is not motherboard related, tell me the results of your tests with your new motherboard.

I’ll check it in a few days and let you know.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Sounds not a co-incident.

Both of you have boot issue with 140.0.0.0.0 + NVMe boot drive + RX580?

But seems can completely fix the issue by swapping GPU?

Did you try if remove NVMe?

I wonder if the above all 3 elements really create this “special combo”

P.S. for info, on the MacOS forum, people still complaining APFS + TRIM can cause very slow boot. So, that part may be just an MacOS bug.

Remedylane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
France
This is one configuration I haven't tried: I will remove the NVMe and start with a regular SSD connected on one of the SATA ports (and also on a PCIe port just to make sure...).

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hi,

Have you had the opportunity to try your RX580 again? On my side, I have done a clean install of Mojave on my NVMe, then tried both GPU: only the HD7970 allows my MacPro to start flawlessly...

I have not fully tested it yet. I’ve had to replace my Logic Board twice (1st one was defective I believe, so received and installed replacement #2). Then got really sick with pneumonia, and right now having power outage issues from snow storms/falling trees.

I will post back when I have enough time on the new LB w/580 installed.
[doublepost=1544458621][/doublepost]
Sounds not a co-incident.

Both of you have boot issue with 140.0.0.0.0 + NVMe boot drive + RX580?

But seems can completely fix the issue by swapping GPU?

Did you try if remove NVMe?

I wonder if the above all 3 elements really create this “special combo”

P.S. for info, on the MacOS forum, people still complaining APFS + TRIM can cause very slow boot. So, that part may be just an MacOS bug.

I did change boot drives to a Bay mounted SSD and problem still presented. I did not remove NVMe hardware however. I’m not sure the problem still exists after LB replacement. I need more time to know for sure.
[doublepost=1544461702][/doublepost]

UPDATE:
I went ahead and hooked everything back up. With the RX580 installed, I'm back to 1st-Cold Boot hang again. I won't pull the NVMe gear out today, but I'll do that soon. I'm considering another test and I'll report back once done. I can't rush to do this right now, but I will do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

Remedylane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2018
France
On my side, I have replaced the NVMe SSD by a SATA connected SSD, and of course, no problem anymore.
There really is something between the 140.0.0.0.0 bootROM,the RX580 and the NVMe drive...

Too bad :-(

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
On my side, I have replaced the NVMe SSD by a SATA connected SSD, and of course, no problem anymore.
There really is something between the 140.0.0.0.0 bootROM,the RX580 and the NVMe drive...

Too bad :-(

Thanks for the report.

Hopefully more member here can join the discussion and see if we can figure out what's the actual condition to trigger this bug.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My RX580 completely failed, and produced no video signal at all.

Sapphire issued me an RMA and the card is enroute to Walnut CA. Correspondence with Sapphire seems to indicate they will ship me a new card. I can’t really test further until I receive my replacement (probably after the new year).

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Could the problem be the NVMe M type PCIe adapter ?
Sorry, what I meant was :
1. Shut down the cMP
2. Remove all PCIe cards except the GPU.
3. Now do PRAM restart -wait until you hear the 'Happy Mac' chime 4 times.

I used this technique to get my HD 7950 to show correct 5GT/s Link Speed ( did the resistor hack prior to Mojave. it worked.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
My RX580 completely failed, and produced no video signal at all.

Sapphire issued me an RMA and the card is enroute to Walnut CA. Correspondence with Sapphire seems to indicate they will ship me a new card. I can’t really test further until I receive my replacement (probably after the new year).

Did you have the Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB model? Have an approximate date of purchase and retailer? Reading reports of several recently failing RX580's that SEEM to be have been shipped to retailers around June or July 2018. Wondering if there's an issue that was corrected others should be on the lookout for.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Did you have the Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB model? Have an approximate date of purchase and retailer? Reading reports of several recently failing RX580's that SEEM to be have been shipped to retailers around June or July 2018. Wondering if there's an issue that was corrected others should be on the lookout for.

Yeah, you have to have all that to get an RMA. Yes, its the Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB model. I purchased mine in August.

I won’t see another one until after the new year however.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
UPDATE:

My RMA'd RX580 arrived several days ago and I haven't had a single boot issue since installing. I'll give it a couple more weeks before I declare this issue resolved (for me), but I'm pretty confident that it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.