MP 1,1-5,1 MacPro 4,1 to 5,1 be able to run OSX Leopard Server?

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have a MacPro 4,1 to 5,1 with stock 8 core E5520 dual xeons and plan to keep it that way. I am running High Sierra, but I plan on creating a dual boot system that will be able to boot into Leopard Server that will be able to use 2 applications that need Leopard to be fully compatible with. Initially, I had them running on Tiger on my PowerMac G5 but it died recently, so would like to run them on the Mac Pro until a suitable replacement can be found. The applications are universal binary and works on Intel as well. On Everymac, it says that the minimum system I can run on my Nehalem Mac Pro is Leopard, which is perfect, but since I have flashed it to 5,1 and I checked the minimum for 5,1 is the Snow Leopard, will I be able to boot Leopard server? Anyone tried it?

Thanks!

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I also have a 4,1-> 5,1 but I haven’t tried to boot to Leopard.
It may boot but not install. The easiest work around is to use a Mac that supports Leopard to install the OS on the drive and then boot it with the 5,1.
I don’t know if that will work, but it’s what I’d try.

Just out of curiosity, what do you need from Leopard Server?

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
Hi everyone,

I have a MacPro 4,1 to 5,1 with stock 8 core E5520 dual xeons and plan to keep it that way. I am running High Sierra, but I plan on creating a dual boot system that will be able to boot into Leopard Server that will be able to use 2 applications that need Leopard to be fully compatible with. Initially, I had them running on Tiger on my PowerMac G5 but it died recently, so would like to run them on the Mac Pro until a suitable replacement can be found. The applications are universal binary and works on Intel as well. On Everymac, it says that the minimum system I can run on my Nehalem Mac Pro is Leopard, which is perfect, but since I have flashed it to 5,1 and I checked the minimum for 5,1 is the Snow Leopard, will I be able to boot Leopard server? Anyone tried it?

Thanks!
Can you just virtualize the workload?

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2019
Can you just virtualize the workload?
The workload needs to be re-imaged to a hard drive for re-deployment on a physical PPC machine and work properly. I think my client tried virtualizing their database and re-imaging, but somehow some things didn't work right. So they actually have physical old 14-16 yr old computers just to run this database and had found creative ways to interface with their modern network and systems.

Last edited:

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2019
I also have a 4,1-> 5,1 but I haven’t tried to boot to Leopard.
It may boot but not install. The easiest work around is to use a Mac that supports Leopard to install the OS on the drive and then boot it with the 5,1.
I don’t know if that will work, but it’s what I’d try.

Just out of curiosity, what do you need from Leopard Server?
I work with clients that run older PPC systems that I do consulting work for from time to time and I need a system that can mirror what they have. I have a virtualized Snow Leopard server running on my Intel Mac and use that for work with some clients, but the Leopard server needs to run on a PPC, namely a G5 so I can do diagnostic and maintenance of their database well as re-imaging the system and that was why I had a G5 running or was. I am in the process of acquiring another PPC G5. Probably a simpler solution.

Last edited:

tsialex

macrumors 604
Jun 13, 2016
Brazil
I work with clients that run older PPC systems that I do consulting work for from time to time and I need a system that can mirror what they have. I have a virtualized Snow Leopard server running on my Intel Mac and use that for work with some clients, but the Leopard server needs to run on a PPC, namely a G5 so I can do diagnostic and maintenance of their database well as re-imaging the system and that was why I had a G5 running or was.
You can make it work, the block is just a plist, but it's dependent on the GPU. Only MP4,1 GPUs will work.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 9, 2019
You can make it work, the block is just a plist, but it's dependent on the GPU. Only MP4,1 GPUs will work.
Oh right! You have a point there that I almost forgot. I have the RX580 now, so ok thank you for this reminder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.