macpro 4.1 upgrades (cpu options)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by orph, Mar 23, 2016.

1. orph macrumors 6502a

Hi im looking at grabbing a macpro 4.1 soon and trying to work out what ill need to buy with it and total cost.
    at the mo im on a macpro 3.1 8core 2.8ghz so id like to upgrade to something noticeably faster, i do Photoshop & video editing mostly (premier cs6 & some light AE work).

Iv seen a macpro4.1 single cpu for sale locally & want advice on which cpu is best value/speed.
    The W3670 3.2gzh 6 cores on ebay seem to be around the £70-90 mark, will this cpu be noticeably faster than my macpro 3.1 or will i need to look at a faster cpu like the W3680 or a dual cpu macpro ?

also ill need some arctic silver 5, a alan key for heat sinks & something to clean them with + the 4.1-5.1 firmware

is there anything more i need to know ?

i plan to pull all my HD's and GPU from my macpro 3.1 and just put them in the macpro 4.1 will i need to reinstall osx?

ps im not shore if the macpro 4.1 im looking at has wifi, is it hard to install wifi?

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Single socket is a lot easier to upgrade and has more options for CPUs because you can use X or W series Xeons and you don't need to worry about lids but you'll be limited to 12 threads and 4 RAM slots. There is a lot of compound out there that is safer and better to use than AS5. Coffee filters and rubbing alcohol is fine for cleaning. You won't need to re-install anything.

3. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks bizzle thats good to know.

So do you think the W3670 is the best cpu upgrade for price/performance ?

4. scott.n macrumors 6502

Wifi is easy to install. You could even move the card from your 3.1 to your new system if you wanted, but a "new" (used) card with better specs could be purchased for around $10 off eBay.

Any mini-PCIe card from a Mac Pro or iMac will work. I recommend one from around 2010-11 for good specs and maximum OS compatibility.

5. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

To use the CPUs you're talking about in a 4,1, you'll need to do the 4,1 to 5,1 firmware upgrade. Do that before changing the CPUs.

7. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks ill be shore to update before i upgrade CPU.