Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nbdt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Longtime MAC user but need some advice setting up a MacPro 5,1 for the first time. The mp is refurbished 2010 5,1 6-core 3.33 with 32 GB RAM. It is arriving with a 256GB SSD installed in the second optical bay with three 2TB HDD installed. I also have an uninstalled OWC accelsior PCI-E (240 GB) SSD that I desire to run as my boot drive.

Intended use: It will be utilized primarily for video & graphics editing (CS6 Premier Pro and Photoshop). I would like to set-up a RAID-0 array.

What I have in the transition: a mid-2011 iMac (2.5 i5).

I think I should install and format the PCI-E SSD first. Then, do I install SoftRAID on the system drive and then use Disk Utility to migrate info from the iMac to the MP?

Finally, ensure necessary system and application updates are performed?

Thanks for any advice.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Hi,

Do you intend to set up the RAID 0 using two of the 2TB drives installed? This would be a 4TB RAID 0 and you can use Disk Utility to set this up. You can also RAID 0 the SSD's but really the RAID 0's drives need to be EXACTLY the same size for effectiveness.

I think the best approach for you would be to use 2 out of the 2TB drives you have and RAID those 2 leaving you with a 4TB RAID 0 and a 2TB stand alone drive. As for the SSD drives? You can copy your system folder and applications to it and that can be your start up or boot drive. But, you will get better performance if the drives are the SAME size.

Longtime MAC user but need some advice setting up a MacPro 5,1 for the first time. The mp is refurbished 2010 5,1 6-core 3.33 with 32 GB RAM. It is arriving with a 256GB SSD installed in the second optical bay with three 2TB HDD installed. I also have an uninstalled OWC accelsior PCI-E (240 GB) SSD that I desire to run as my boot drive.

Intended use: It will be utilized primarily for video & graphics editing (CS6 Premier Pro and Photoshop). I would like to set-up a RAID-0 array.

What I have in the transition: a mid-2011 iMac (2.5 i5).

I think I should install and format the PCI-E SSD first. Then, do I install SoftRAID on the system drive and then use Disk Utility to migrate info from the iMac to the MP?

Finally, ensure necessary system and application updates are performed?

Thanks for any advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.