MacPro 5,1 - Still rebooting randomly

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Feb 19, 2015.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

So I've been having some issues with my 2012 MP randomly rebooting.
    I had weird flickering and artifacting problems so I had my GTX680 replaced.
    I suspected my power supply was going so I replaced that as well.
    I've ran memory tests and they all show nothing.
    Also did a clean install on a new disk and same issues.
    What else can it be? Logic board? Processors?

2. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Is the power going to the box ok? Do you have a UPS by chance?

3. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

4. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

5. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Hmm…I have other things plugged into the UPS and they don't seem to be affected.

I usually get a crash/reboot when I'm doing something video related. From editing, encoding, or simply watching a youtube video. A couple times it happened as I plugged a thumb drive in.

Then on reboot it cycles a few times before booting up, going to the grey Apple logo and rebooting.

6. MacVidCards Suspended

7. JesterJJZ, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Yeah I'm not good at deciphering those.

Here's one of the recent ones.

8. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Probably a bad graphics card, or power supply issue causing the GPU to crash. Could also be the GPU drivers, make sure you're running the latest drivers from NVIDIA (since I see you're running the web drivers, and I know they've had a ton of issues with those in the past as I have too but most of them went away with the most recent drivers).

-SC

9. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Graphics card and power supply were recently replaced so I ruled those out.

I'm running NVIDIA Web Driver 313.01.04f01, that's the most recent right?

10. digitalgum macrumors newbie

11. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I've tried different RAM combinations. Problem is that the reboots are so random that trying to determine the problem is becoming impossible. Everything can be fine for a couple weeks and then I'll get 5 reboots within a few hours. So the interval between these occurrences can be a few minutes to a few weeks.

I've cycled my ram half at a time in different sets and I had the same issues with each. So unless I have multiple sticks of bad RAM, memory isn't the problem.

Is there something specific to using just one stick? Are you staying boot off each of my sticks one at a time to check?

12. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

For 10.8.5 it is, I dunno about 10.9 or 10.10.

Do you have any other crash logs?

If you've already replaced the GPU and PSU, then it could either be an electrical problem with the logic board or an issue with the northbridge chipset (which is situated on the CPU carrier and is directly responsible for driving the two PCI-e x16 slots). It's kinda hard to tell without seeing the other logs, since I'm curious to know if the problem is shifting around at all or if the machine is constantly crapping out somewhere in the graphics subsystem.

-SC

13. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I have a bunch from the other day that happened pretty much in a row and some from a couple weeks ago before I sprung for a new power supply.

Attached Files:

14. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

All KPs are GPU related. Try to switch to OS X built-in drivers for a day or two and see if it will change anything.

15. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I will try that. Thanks!

16. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

No dice, MP just took a big dump while running OSX drivers.

17. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

I think your graphics card is bad.

I know you said you just replaced it, but every single KP you've posted has pointed straight at that piece of hardware.

The most logical thing to do moving forward is to replace the GPU again, preferably with the card that came with your Mac Pro. If the system continues to panic, there is a problem with your logic board or CPU carrier. If the problem goes away, then your second 680 GTX is defective and should be replaced again.

-SC

18. digitalgum macrumors newbie

Yes that's what I'm saying. Boot off one at a time but obviously see if you can use it to it's max. Push each one until you crash with something ram intensive.

Not saying this will be it but worth a try, i've had 2-3 sticks bring down whole machine which also weren't ECC

19. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Update.

I ran both EFI and OS ASD Hardware tests for 12 hours each.

EFI returned no problems.

OS Tests came back with a ton of GPU errors and then the machine refused to boot, tries booting for over an hour.

However I started to strip the machine down one thing at a time.

I removed my blackmagic 4k card and tried booting and it started immediately. So I am hoping that is the issue. I will run the hardware tests again and see if they persist. Is it possible my blackmagic card was messing with my GPU and causing it to fail?

Here are the results from my the OS ASD tests.

Attached Files:

20. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Well I am still getting the same errors with the ASD with the blackmagic card removed. However this is a 10.6 test and the GTX680 wasn't out yet so it simply may not know how to test it.

21. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Ok…still rebooting and trouble booting altogether.

I removed everything down to the GPU and Boot drive, one stick of ram and still problems.

I moved my GPU to slot 2 and seems to be ok for now. Will keep it like this for a while and see what happens.

22. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Was fine for a couple days and the reboots began again. Then oddly enough I couldn't get it to shut down. Everytime I tried to shut it down it would reboot instead. Time to take this puppy to the vet...