MacPro 8 ordered

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by drmacjazz, Aug 17, 2007.

1. drmacjazz macrumors newbie

Group:

I've been lurking for a number of months. I've needed a Mac Pro for the past half year, but kept waiting. I finally got to the point where I couldn't wait any longer so I pulled the trigger.

Mac Pro 8 core refurb
    5 GB ram
    4x500 GB hard drives
    30" ACD

I saved a lot of money ordering the refurb. I'll keep my G5 dual2.0 as a secondary computer.

I have a question re: backing up. I plan on keeping system and apps on the 250 GB drive that comes with the box. 3 internal 500 GB 1 external. I would like to keep video files on one 500 GB and all my other files on another 500 GB. These leaves the remaining two 500 GB drives for backup. Does SuperDuper allow me to schedule backing up two different drives?

cheers

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Very nice PC, considering how Apple is dragging out the updates, if I had the spare cash I would order right now as well. As for your question, I have no idea :)

3. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

I'm curious: when and where did you buy this? Unless I'm looking at the wrong page, Apple's refurb site hasn't had any 8-core Macs available for over a month. Did you buy it elsewhere?

Thanks.

jas

4. drmacjazz thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it from the Canadian Apple site. You have to check everyday. I recently saw one 8 core appear in the refurb section and it was gone in 4 hrs.

They're approx $900 cheaper as a refurb!

Unfortunately they didn't have any 30" ACD refurbed in Canada.

cheers

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

'Grats! You will enjoy it :)

Thanks for not waiting :D

6. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Yeah, I saw an 8 on the Apple Canada site too. I was almost tempted to pick it up...lol. Congrats on the purchase, fellow Torontonian. :)

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

congrats on the purchase :)

as far as backing up, wouldn't you want to backup to something outside of the computer? like an external drive or another computer/server? that's a lot safer than just another hard drive in the same computer. (or so they say)

8. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

9. liquid stereo macrumors regular

I believe SuperDuper does. The source and destination can be anything. It may not do it in one script but two schedules is not a problem.

Cheers!

10. Evergreen macrumors member

Evergreen

I would use a 500gb drive for the system. It would be a bit faster than the 250.