MacPro Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rubydick, May 2, 2007.

  1. rubydick macrumors newbie

    May 2, 2007
    Fallbrook, CA
    I'm waiting to buy a new MacPro. Currently using a G5 dual 2Ghz with 2.5 gigs of RAM, 750 and 500 Gig drives. This setup is okay, but starting to get a bit long in the tooth.


    1. Intel chip prices are slated to drop in July. Would appreciate thoughts on if/when this might affect MacPro prices.

    2. How much RAM should I be looking at? I use things like Photoshop CS3, Dreamweaver CS3, Fotomagico, iTunes, Aperture, etc. Have thousands of RAW pics in various directories.

    3. What would be a good graphics card choice?

    4. Any thoughts on when the MacPro line might be updated? Stokley, etc.

    All help most welcome.
  2. miniConvert macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Hello :)

    1. I don't think there's any way of knowing. Steve may have let slip his desire to be greener, but he didn't drop in anything about price changes ;)

    2. 2GB RAM is a pretty sweet spot I think. You can add more later if you think you need it. Most people seem to order with 1, then buy aftermarket RAM as it's cheaper.

    3. Well, really the X1900XT is the only 'decent' graphics card there that isn't going to cost you your right arm. However, if you have no need for 3D graphics/graphics card intensive activities then stick with the stock nVidia and save some money - you could always upgrade later if Apple release a card you like.

    4. I don't think there's any way of knowing. A lot of folk here will happily speculate for you, but that's not going to help you much :) If you want it now, buy it now. It's an awesome machine, updates or no, and it'll last you a very, very long time.
  3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816


    Mar 23, 2007
    I heard June but I am not so sure on this.
    2GB at least but preferably 4GB
    the stock card is fine but if you are doing any graphics intensive apps get the ATI Radeon X1900 XT.
    Check this benchmark.
    Probably at WWDC but nobody really knows when.
  4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030


    Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    The Adobe suite doesn't utilize the graphics card, so upgrading to the X1900 seems like a waste, IMO. Unless you're gaming or doing 3d type work, then I don't think you'll notice much a difference if at all (notice how the benchmark he linked to was comparing game play - not graphics apps). I'd spend the extra money on more RAM instead - that will give you a much bigger boost.
  5. rubydick thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 2, 2007
    Fallbrook, CA
    Thanks so much, each of you. This is what community is all about, everyone pitching in to help others.

    I'm currently dead with CS3, which runs like a tortoise. Bridge CS3 is unusable, so I'm looking for a solution. Again, thanks so much.

Share This Page