MacPro Airport Antenna Improvements?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by haravikk, Oct 13, 2008.

1. haravikk macrumors 65816

Hi there,

Does anyone know of a way to improve a MacPro's Airport range? I'm finding it's worse than my G5 was, probably since it has no external antenna, are there kits or anything anywhere that I could use to add an external antenna for better range/signal-strength?

I believe the range and strength of my wireless N router is fine, but the MacPro has very varied connection-strength to it.

Thanks!

2. haravikk thread starter macrumors 65816

I've found QuickerTek's "Tri-band" antenna for Mac Pros, but the only place I can find to buy it is their site, which is not only horrible, but also seems to be quite steeply priced.

As I understand it, all desktop wireless cards should have standard wi-fi ports on them, which an antenna can be screwed onto. So, with an 802.11n card, how many antennae do I need to get "full" performance, and are there any recommended ones? For example, could I just buy any antenna with a cable long enough, and hook it up to my Mac Pro's internal card through a PCI slot?

I'm very disappointed by how nerfed the wireless card actually seems to be as a result of not having an external antenna (and being inside an all-metal case!), what was wrong with giving us one the little "T" thing that came with the G5's?

3. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

They sucked.

Do a google search, there are thousands of high range antennas on the market.

4. haravikk thread starter macrumors 65816

And yet clearly it's much better than putting the damned aerial IN A METAL CASE! My wireless N card is giving me speeds that fluctuate between almost 802.11g, and WORSE than 802.11b =/

With respect, I didn't ask if there were thousands of high range antennas on the market, I asked what I should be using with my Mac Pro. Are there any constraints? Are any particularly well suited? How many do I need for good wireless N performance? Etc. etc.

Looking for wireless antennas in Google isn't my problem :)