MacPro, Airport Extreme Card and WRT54GC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by r00ster, Jan 4, 2008.

1. r00ster macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.
    I've just got my MacPro along with Aiport Extreme Card. I have also WRT54GC Linksys router. How to connect to that router using wireless? I have tried to set up network connection throug the airport menu but either I just don't know what to do (mre likely) or it's somewhere else where I should look.
    I searched this forum, bot found nothing useful. If I missed the answer, please link it to me.

best regards
    arecibo

2. waremaster macrumors 6502

are you not seeing the linksys as an available wireless connection? or are you seeing it and not able to connect to it?

3. r00ster thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know where to look for it actually.
    When I open network connection and click airport icon I see:
    AirPort Power: On
    Network: blank

Then I ca chose network -> other and enter my router ssid, bot it says that can't connet to aiport network.
    Creating network also doesn't work.

Do I need anything else than router and aiport extreme card? Maybe I'm just missing something.

best regards
    arecibo

4. waremaster macrumors 6502

In the upper right hand side of the tool bar you should see an icon that resembles a signal meter. It looks kind of like a slice of pie. Click on that and it should list what wireless access points it finds.

5. r00ster thread starter macrumors newbie

When I click it, it shows nothing special I guess (see attachment).

best regards
    arecibo

Attached Files:

6. waremaster macrumors 6502

In the Linksys is it set for a specific network type for example is it set to B only? Because it appears that it is not being recognized as a wireless network by the airport card. Also how far from the Linksys is the Mac?
    Do you have any devices other than this Mac using the Linksys? Is the Linksys broadcasting an SSID? Is there a wep, wpa or wpa2 key setup on the Linksys?

7. r00ster thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

> In the Linksys is it set for a specific network type for example is it set to B only?

No, it is set to mixed.

> Also how far from the Linksys is the Mac? Do you have any devices other than this Mac using the Linksys?

Right now Mac is standing next to this PC which is connected to Linksys wirelessly. Distance to router is 4 meters. On this PC signal strength is max.

> Is the Linksys broadcasting an SSID? Is there a wep, wpa or wpa2 key setup on the Linksys?

Yes, it is broadcasting SSID. No, for the time beeing I switched off all security settings. There is no MAC whitelist or anything.

best regards
    arecibo

8. waremaster macrumors 6502

Did the airport card come preinstalled in your mac or did you do it yourself? Can you verify the wires going to the card? I am starting to think that either the wires are mixed or the airport card is defective.

9. r00ster thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I feel so embarrassed :(
    I 'installed' card by myself without connecting wires to it (I couldn't find any 'how to').
    There are three thin black wires with numbers attached (1, 2, and 3). Is there any difference between them?

best regards
    arecibo

-8<---------------------------- EDIT --------------

Connecting wires number two [2] and three [3] to AirPort Extreme Card completely solved my problem. Right now wireless connection works great.
    Thank you waremaster for your time and next time I will check all cables before asking a question ;)

thanks again and best regards
    arecibo

10. waremaster macrumors 6502

Glad you got it sorted out.

11. r00ster thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    unfortunately my wireless problems are not over yet. Network is working great, but the very next minute I can't open a web page. Ping that site gives me times ~= 10 ms but safari can't open the site. In a minute it's ok again, but then problem repeats. In these forum I found that choosing different channel would solve the problem but in my case it did nothing. I suppose that I could be some different issue since traceroute/ping work fine. Also my other PC works fine.
    What could be the problem? At the moment there is no encryption set but only MAC address filter and hidden ssid.

best regards
    arecibo

12. waremaster macrumors 6502

And if you broadcast ssid does it still do that?

13. r00ster thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it does. It happens few times per hour. In safari I can't load the page but at the same moment I ping the server and pinging is ok. The same thing happens while I'm connected to router using wire.

best regards
    arecibo

14. waremaster macrumors 6502

Are there any updates for your Linksys firmware?