MacPro Airport extreme card Help needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacGamver, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MacGamver, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014

MacGamver macrumors regular

MacGamver

Hi guys,

I posted tho in the MacPro forum, but I'm not sure if that's the appropriate area...!

I have a MacPro 3,1 that had built-in Bluetooth, but no Airport card. I bought a card off eBay, the appropriate BCM94321MC model, but seem to be having some issues that I'm not sure are evidence of the card being defective or not. The installation was a little tricky as those tiny antenna wires are a pain to seat; in addition it did not come with mounting screws, so I had used different ones. they work, but the card is not totally flat (as it is spring loaded) but it is seated in the socket just fine.

Here's the problem. System info shows the card 802.11a/b/g/n recognized, and I can join my wireless network. I can load up a web page immediately, but any data transfer (for example a net speed test page) causes it to slow down to nothing, and drop out the network connection. This causes all connectivity to drop out, even wired.

Anyone here of this, or can shed some light on the problem? Thanks in advance.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Hold down your 'option' key while clicking on the Airport icon in the Finder. Then tell us how you are connecting to the wireless router.

3. MacGamver, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

MacGamver thread starter macrumors regular

MacGamver

I did that to check the info it shows; what specific info is the thing to watch? I have a dual band router that I can use either the 2.4 or 5 GHz bandwidth. Neither seemed to work properly.

Here's a sample (not mine) as I am not able to access my mac at home right now.

Also, thanks for helping!

Attached Files:

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The picture you shown shows that that Mac is using the crowded 2.4 on channel 11. So if you have a dual- band router go into the router and change your 5 Ghz channel to the hundred range to get the true 5 Ghz speeds.

5. MacGamver thread starter macrumors regular

MacGamver

OK; when I initially connected to the 5GHz band, I was auto-assigned channel 36, but you're saying to set a defined channel at the 100 range? I'll try that too.

6. MacGamver thread starter macrumors regular

MacGamver

OK, pretty sure the card is bad… I changed the router channel to 149 in the 5GHz range, made sure the card was seated nicely in place; antenna wires were in the Apple directed spots and the same thing happens. Sys Info sees the card as a/b/g/n just fine, finds my network and joins, connectivity immediately to load up a page, then performing a "net speed test" instantly drives the bitrate into the ground and loses the network and cannot reconnect without a restart.