MacPro and 10.6.2: display problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kirreip, Nov 10, 2009.

1. kirreip macrumors regular

I just installed 10.6.2. After reboot I immediately noticed that the Dock icons looked not as sharp or crisp, but very subtle. Also the letters in all the Applications look slightly fuzzy.

I always have the resolution set to 1600x1000 on my 24" Apple LED Cinema Display.

Changing the resolution to 1920x1200 fixes the problem.

Never had this problems on 10.5.x or on 10.6.0/10.6.1.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Of course that fixed the problem.
    LCD displays can just display one resolution correctly, the native resolution, which is exactly 1920x1200 in your case.

Every other resolution will be interpolated. That's why it is not sharp.

3. kirreip thread starter macrumors regular

I have this setup (MacPro and 24" LED ACD) since the week the Nehalem MacPros are out. And since that day I had the resolution set to 1600x1000 without any problems. I had no problems with 10.5.7, 10.5.8, 10.5.9, 10.5.10, 10.5.11, 10.6.0 or 10.6.1. The problem appeared this morning right after updating to 10.6.2.

4. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Maybe you just thought you had it at the lower resolution. It is not possible to have it at the lower resolution without it being fuzzy, unless it 1:1 scaled it and you had huge black blocks around your screen.

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Yep, running an LCD in anything but the native res is misguided.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nothing new to add, only to echo what has already been said. If enough people agree maybe you will get it and just use your display in the way it's supposed to be.

Anything other than native will look like poop.

7. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

this update brought updated ati drivers, might be cause of your issue

or simply you started looking for any issues and you found them/made them up in your head ;)

8. kirreip thread starter macrumors regular

Can't really laugh about that ;)

No, I am not saying that you are wrong (oh thanks for your replies by the way), au contraire. But something is wrong here. There is another thread about this same issue in the Apple Support Forums.

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Really, it's not possible on ANY LCD to run it at a non-native resolution AND have it crystal clear unless it's scaling 1:1.

10. kirreip thread starter macrumors regular

I have understood that after the first reply, thank you.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can also also run things at quarter resolution if inclined. Only problem is DPI would be terrible.

12. doctorjo5 macrumors newbie

problem with 10.6.2

I just updated to 10.6.2 last night on my 2.2 ghz macbook pro. after the update completed, my mac now won't turn on. When I press the power button, it macs the chime and them the sleep button the lid-open button glows, but the screen stays dark and nothing else happens. All I can do is turn off the computer by holding down the power button. Does anyone have any advice at all about this before I take it to the Geniuses? Thank you!!!

update: I am new to this forum, if anyone would be really kind and tell me somewhere else where I should post this question, I would appreciate the hell out of them. Thank you!

13. davidlv macrumors 65816

Is this the right forum issue

Since you have a problem with your Macbook Pro, it seems it would be better to post in the "Macbook Pro" forum :cool: rather than this Mac Pro area. Or, at least the OS X forum since this issue happened after an OS update.

Have you tried clearing the PRAM? (hold down the Command+Option+P+R keys) at startup? Probably worth a try. Or try resetting the SMS (Special hardware in your Mac manages low-level tasks related to power management. On an Intel-based Mac, this is called the System Management Controller (SMC). )
    The Apple support page <http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365> (item no. 8) says "Reset the SMC for the MacBook And MacBook Pro by removing the AC power, removing the battery and then holding down the power button for five seconds. On the MacBook Air, press (left) Shift-Control-Option along with the power button once. Note: You must use the keys on the left side of the MacBook Air keyboard." :apple: