MacPro and 2nd Optical Drive

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
I'm interested in getting the MacPro, but I had a question on the optical drive bay(s)......

On the 2nd slot (or the first one), can I install ANY internal drive?

Meaning, can I install a regular 5.25" drive? Or are they a special size/shape??

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I did read somewhere (off Macrumors) that Pioneer drives worked fine if you take of the front bezel. I imagine this is pretty much true for any drive as long as it's tray loading. The only thing you might need to watch is the length...

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I think I remember someone during the Keynote saying that just about any optical drive will fit as long as the front casing was taken off first.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I hate the optical drive bays in the Mac Pro.
Why can't apple stop insisting on fanciness over practicality?

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
Hmmmmm......

I remember I had to do this with my old G4 Sawtooth.... The front bezel had to be removed or else the tray would get stuck...

Well...... That really sucks.... :(

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
cube said:
I hate the optical drive bays in the Mac Pro.
Why can't apple stop insisting on fanciness over practicality?

Why is taking the front bezel off so difficult? IIRC, they snap on and off no tools required.

davey0

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2006
I tried to install an old Pioneer burner but had trouble fitting it in because of its length. I eventually gave up and ordered a shorter LiteOn drive.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
7on said:
Why is taking the front bezel off so difficult? IIRC, they snap on and off no tools required.
Nobody said it was difficult..... It just looks "tacky" having a nice case w/out the front bezel...

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
davey0 said:
I tried to install an old Pioneer burner but had trouble fitting it in because of its length. I eventually gave up and ordered a shorter LiteOn drive.
You did this on a MacPro?? If so, did you try on both the top and bottom slots?