MacPro and stalling on the USB bus errors ??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by phildog33, Jun 3, 2008.

1. phildog33 macrumors regular

For the past say 2 months. now... im having issues with USB on the computer.. i think its USB related

this is typical 2-3 times a day..

Working working
    open mail
    open ical quickly
    boom.. frozen..
    itunes still playing
    website still being uploaded in background... even photoshop still spitting out files during one of my actions

the frozen part is Everything on the usb bus .. mouse, keyboard, peripherals, etc... Unplugging and plugging back in does nothing

printer died in the middle of printing big photo -- lost big 24x36 print...
    mouse doesnt respond
    nothing USB related works

My work around is - I log on using backtomymac on the macbook pro and i can move the mouse around and shut stuff down, finish my emails, and the restart like normal. strange that backtomymac is working... so its telling me everything in background processing is ok

Unfortunately, i cant reproduce the problem at all... i believe its USB related as those are the items that freeze up, and i believe when i switch programs quickly it happens, but sometimes its random

in what log can i look around in? how do i troubleshoot just a little before going to the next step and bringing into the apple store?

i emailed my apple tech and he asked about USB hubs

I have two USB hubs , they are 7 port hubs. ubs 2.0... has external power adapter and all 14 slots are full of devices.

it happens in normal day to day - jsut ical kind of thing

can i check in the system log for anything of interest??

They asked about 3rd party RAM and i do have the OWC ram which hasnt failed me yet.. I think? How to check

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP YOU GUYS
    P

"

2. phildog33 thread starter macrumors regular

i just lost another print... USB stall.. everything on the bus dead

is there anything i can check? drivers, power consumption, etc?

P

3. phildog33 thread starter macrumors regular

All the usb just locked up again, in the middle of print job, and lost everything...

Has this ever happened to anyone?

Is it memory related? or old software drivers?
    P

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Theres a bit of a commonality to your problems. Try taking the printer off your USB and see if your machine becomes a little more stable. Otherwise, it might have something to do with 14 USB devices plugged in at once...

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

yeah 14 is a bit overkill, the macpro certainly has the power but the USB Bus is alittle bit different.

since most things are high powered it iwll act finicky, try with just the most needed, or for that specific project at a time; ie: printer, mouse & keyboard then see if it continues when you add more peripherals

6. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

If the printer runs on firewire also , I would check to see if that is more stable,
    I would also look for Printer driver updates.
    What printer is it?

7. phildog33 thread starter macrumors regular

Its the HP B9180 photo printer, its the same driver on the HP site from Dec 07
    Just 6 months old.

Anything I can check in the log? Or any other opinions?

Thanks guys
    P