MacPro BlueRay Drive turn-off if not used

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rodolfo, Apr 9, 2011.

1. rodolfo macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I just install a Lite-On iHBS212 BlueRay Drive. The drive replaced the original SuperDrive and was installed using the Upper SATA connector. The unit works fine for a while but after awhile the unit turns-off completely. The eject key doesn't work, The System Profiler doesn't show anything on the SATA port. The Disk Utility doesn't show up the disc inserted.

Is anyone experience this before?

It looks like the OS is turning the HDDs to save energy and for some reason this unit doesn't get back...

To turn on the drive I need to reboot the machine.

If the drive is in use, this will not happen until get's in idle mode after use.

Any help will be really appreciated.

My Machine is a MacPro 2011 6x2 Core @ 2.93HGz. It has all the HDD bays used. All DIM memories are used too (32GB ram), The secondary Front SATA is used with a SDD too. Most of the time, this machine is operating a full CPU capacity (24 hyperthreads) I'm mentioning this because it may be possible that is a power supply problem (although this is the only unit that behaves in this way)

Thanks in advance

2. Vylen macrumors 65816

Yep, sounds like a powersave/sleep issue. Similar to the Pioneer Blu-Ray drives. You need to turn off HDD sleeping from the Energy Saver panel in System Preferences.

Of course, if that doesn't help you... then I got no idea.