Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
Australia
Hi,

Macpro 8 Core 2.4Ghz with 12Gig RAM and top ATI card. Running Windows 7 through Bootcamp (much better than Parallels 6!). Ran the Performance Benchmark and returned a score of 7.6, except for HD which was 5.3. Apparently the top score for current hardware is 7.9, so I am wondering if others have run the test, and whether this is hardware or driver related etc, and what other people are getting.....

Garen

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Los Angeles Area
I haven't checked on my new Hexacore yet but on my 2007 8C 3.0 2.1 MacPro with 17GB memory I get 7.7 for processor and 5.9 for the HD.

Garen

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
I think you can't get more than 5.9 unless you get a SSD to replace your HDD - and the correct AHCI drivers / settings.

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
My MacBook Pro late 2008 with a OWC SSD get 7.1 in disk performance....

Every $/€ spent in a SSD is the only real improvement in performance....

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Perhaps more people will post now that its been a while and more people have gotten themselves a machine.

Doubt it. :D
The Windows performance test shouldn't be considered as a reliable statement about system performance. I mean how could it? It takes a second to run, do you guys really put any trust in that kind of "benchmarking"?
I, certainly, do not.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Doubt it. :D
The Windows performance test shouldn't be considered as a reliable statement about system performance. I mean how could it? It takes a second to run, do you guys really put any trust in that kind of "benchmarking"?
I, certainly, do not.

The number by itself is meaningless, but as long as the testing method is the same or consistent on different machines, then the number used in a comparative situation is just as good as any other benchmark - which is actually the whole point of the windows performance results (and any other benchmark really).

Naturally, it's up to individuals though to interpret the numbers since benchmarking results have no scale and are generally arbitrary as a result.

Long story short, windows performance test is usable as a testing metric as long as you understand any shortcomings in the numbers produced :p

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Long story short, windows performance test is usable as a testing metric as long as you understand any shortcomings in the numbers produced :p

And that's exactly the problem.
The test simply isn't exact enough, which results in equal test results for different machines / hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.