MacPro, Bootcamp, Windows Vista and performance

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wahit, Nov 18, 2008.

1. wahit macrumors member

wahit

Hi guys!
    Finally my MacPro has arrived, yet I'm having some problems here... I guess!

I've installed Windows Vista Ultimate by Bootcamp, because I need to work with Rhinoceros 3D. I also use Maxwell Render for all my rendering, and here comes the problem: I can't seem to find a big difference - or almost no difference at all - to the rendering speed of the MacPro comparing with my MacBook Pro. And they are totally different systems:

MacPro 2x 2.8Ghz QuadCore
    512MB graphic card, 2GB RAM (still waiting for extra 8GB)

MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz Core2Duo
    256MB graphic card, 2GB RAM

What is happening? I mean, Windows Vista here seems a lot slower comparing to Windows XP and all, but the MacPro is not a MacBook Pro. It's supposed to be much faster!

Do you think I'll get better results if I go back to Windows XP (32bit) and render all all stuff there? Or maybe trying Maxwell Render 32bit version instead of the 64bit I'm using?

Or is there any way I could install and get all the drivers working for Windows XP 64bit?! Because Apple doesn't suply support for this version of Windows XP... :(

Thanks!

2. ElSkribento macrumors newbie

What's your memory usage? If you are using all 2GB then that's probably what's holding you back.

3. wahit thread starter macrumors member

wahit

How can I see that on Vista?

Is RAM usage a major influence on rendering speeds?

4. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

We could use a bit more information here.
    You can get some performance data from
    the Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

For example: are you hammering all 8 cores?