MacPro (bootcamp) with high end graphics card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by crazycat, Aug 7, 2010.

1. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Is it possible to run the a MacPro under bootcamp all the time using a high end Nvidia or ATI graphics card?

I would like to use the MacPro as a gaming PC.

Thanks

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Boot Camp is a tool to partition hard drives. You are asking if you can boot windows. Yes, a Mac Pro is a PC and it will boot windows. And yes, a Mac Pro booting windows can use any windows compatible graphic card.

3. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I am sorry if my question was not clear enough. I have used bootcamp before, i was just asking if for example i can get a ATI 5700/5800 or an equivalent Nvidia card and get it working. I know these high end card wont work with OS X because of lack of drivers.

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Simple answer is yes.

Any card that works in Windows will work.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

people keep misunderstanding what bootcamp is. Bootcamp does not have anything to do with booting windows.

6. crazycat thread starter macrumors 65816

crazycat

I understand what bootcamp is, i was just worried that the MacPro's motherboard is not compatible and i wanted to make it clear how i will use the system.

Thanks for the info guys, when i install the graphics card i will give a little update on how well its going and the kind of FPS i am getting with a few games.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Bootcamp simply emulates a PC BIOS prior to the Windows boot-up process. After that, your Mac Pro is for all intents and purposes an ordinary PC and you can use any graphics card you want.

8. MacVidCards Suspended

you can easily use 5870 in OSX

I am