MacPro (bootcamp) with high end graphics card

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Is it possible to run the a MacPro under bootcamp all the time using a high end Nvidia or ATI graphics card?

I would like to use the MacPro as a gaming PC.

Thanks

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Boot Camp is a tool to partition hard drives. You are asking if you can boot windows. Yes, a Mac Pro is a PC and it will boot windows. And yes, a Mac Pro booting windows can use any windows compatible graphic card.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Boot Camp is a tool to partition hard drives. You are asking if you can boot windows. Yes, a Mac Pro is a PC and it will boot windows. And yes, a Mac Pro booting windows can use any windows compatible graphic card.
I am sorry if my question was not clear enough. I have used bootcamp before, i was just asking if for example i can get a ATI 5700/5800 or an equivalent Nvidia card and get it working. I know these high end card wont work with OS X because of lack of drivers.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I am sorry if my question was not clear enough. I have used bootcamp before, i was just asking if for example i can get a ATI 5700/5800 or an equivalent Nvidia card and get it working. I know these high end card wont work with OS X because of lack of drivers.
Simple answer is yes.

Any card that works in Windows will work.

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
people keep misunderstanding what bootcamp is. Bootcamp does not have anything to do with booting windows.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
people keep misunderstanding what bootcamp is. Bootcamp does not have anything to do with booting windows.
I understand what bootcamp is, i was just worried that the MacPro's motherboard is not compatible and i wanted to make it clear how i will use the system.

Thanks for the info guys, when i install the graphics card i will give a little update on how well its going and the kind of FPS i am getting with a few games.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Bootcamp simply emulates a PC BIOS prior to the Windows boot-up process. After that, your Mac Pro is for all intents and purposes an ordinary PC and you can use any graphics card you want.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
you can easily use 5870 in OSX

I am

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.