MacPro, buy now.. Install hardware later

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kelly West, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Kelly West macrumors newbie

This is my first thread here at MacRumors.

I have recently upgrade my mac system, but I've never had the budget for a MacPro. I was considering using my old rig and buying a MacPro case, most probley the G5 (i think). But soon enough i relised how long it would take me to build/mod.

So my question is, is it worth it buying a MacPro case and slowly building it up to a state of the art machine ?

Thanks
    Kelly West

2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Building it yourself is not as easy as in the Window$ world. It's cheaper, faster, and better (in my view) to get a refurb MacPro or a used one. They are rock solid computers so I would have no hesitations about buying one used.

3. superlatic macrumors regular

thats sort of my plan

not going to build the whole thing myself, however, unless apple have updated the imacs or announced a special event by aug 1st, i am going to get 2.0ghz mac pro with basic trimmings plus BT and AE, then slowly build it up, starting with a bit more ram from crucial, then a 2nd hard drive, then probably nearer christmas if they have been released, a new graphics card

gonna dave a few £££ by going for a samsung 20" rather than apples (3000:1 contrast ratio 2ms response time HDCP compatible, £175 from ebuyer inc delivery)

as the price cut for the xeons is on the 29th with some receiving rather hefty price cuts, fingers crossed we may see some revisions to the stock options, even if its just 2.66ghz as the lowest processors and 2gb ram as stock, thats me happy:D

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

Desktops are due for an update... will happen within weeks I'm sure. I agree that the desktops are not good values right now, but that could change very soon.