MacPro buying advice please.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by blkraemer, Jun 26, 2011.

  1. blkraemer macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2009
    #1
    I am considering buying a MacPro 4,1 or 5,1 machine as a refurb or used. I need a MacPro for it's PCI expansion and I need the hyperthreading that the 4,1 or 5,1 models provide, not considering 3,1 or lower.

    That being said, should I wait for the ones shipping late July and buy a new one with thunderbolt... or buy a used/refurb now and plan for an update around January when a true 6,1 machine is out with new processors?

    Am I missing an angle here?

    (While I need high capacity and high speed storage, I can accomplish this for the time being with FW800/e-SATA or Ultra-320 SCSI. Concerned thunderbolt will not be well supported or cost effective for a year or more.)

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    While an update in July or August still doesn't make much sense, I would wait given the number of recent rumors. Of course, if you need it right now and cannot wait, then your only option is to buy now. If there will be an update in July or August, don't expect the next update to be any sooner than mid-2012.
     
  3. blkraemer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2009
    #3
    Thanks Hellhammer for your reply. You suggest an update in July or August doesn't make sense. Do you mean that since the "sandy bridge" processors will not be ready till November it doesn't make sense for Apple to update the line... or that as a consumer it doesn't make much sense to update to that level of machine vs. what is already on the market, or both?
     
  4. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #4
    The former. If there aren't any new CPUs to update the Mac Pro with, then it doesn't make much sense IMO, given that all MP updates have included new set of CPUs. However, there hasn't been any recent news about the Sandy Bridge-E CPUs (i.e. the ones for MP) so all we got is the old news of Q4 timeframe, which might have changed to e.g. late Q3. Moreover, Apple has gotten early access to Intel's new CPUs in the past so maybe it will happen this time too. Also, the update could be an announcement like last year with e.g. ships in September.

    Or the rumors are just bullcrap :p Anyway, if you don't need it right now, I would still wait.
     
  5. blkraemer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2009
    #5
    Well explained, thanks for your time.
     
  6. sbb155 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2005
    #6
    New MPs are likely to come
    Yearly update happening
    WAIT - you will be happier
     
  7. blkraemer thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2009
    #7
    A follow up question...

    I can't really wait till August or beyond to get rolling on a personal project, and I have ruled out the latest iMac or even a lower cost Mac Mini (lacks the Open CL support needed) for what I need to do short term.

    What would be the down side to picking up a used 3,1 machine vs. a 4,1 or 5,1 machine like I first indicated I needed. I understand that I would lack hyperthreading but beyond that, if for the short term I can spend less for a 2 processor dual core machine (minimum requirements for my software) by going with a 3,1 and plan to sell it in 6 months or turn it into a server... am I making a bad move by not getting a 4,1 machine?

    Thanks again for your input.
     
  8. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #8
    That sounds like a good plan. 3,1 is the best bang for buck Mac Pro ever and it is fast. 4,1 is quad core (assuming you look at the cheaper models) whereas 3,1 is 8-core, so HT isn't necessary. That might even get you till 2012 Mac Pro.
     

Share This Page