MacPro central file server and backup tape drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dahak777, May 25, 2009.

1. dahak777 macrumors newbie

Good Day,

Couple of questions. Here is what they want to do. Small office, graphics design, 5 people at the moment, currently they backup to cds/dvds which takes too much time and effort.

What they want
    Have a central networked location to store there files / projects. Easy backups.

So I was thinking of the following.
    MacPro with 2x TB Drives Mirrored to have redundancy on the machine, many not even need to do it. just a suggestion.
    Usb External Tape Drive - > backs up data daily

Now the questions that I have for this setup
    1) Would just the 10.5 Leopard client work fine or would have to go to Leopard Server?

2) Cant remember if still can do a software raid on the client side without needed the dedicated mac pro raid card.

3) Any recommendations on external usb tape drives that would work with the mac. I can get the software without any problems. Thinking about EMC Retrospect 8.0 for mac

2. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I really like Retrospect. Haven't used it since 2004 or so, but it was awesome back then.

3. dimme macrumors 65816

You could also set up a cheap PC with XP of Linux and use it as a file server. At my last Job (photo lab) I had a PC running XP with 4 shared drives serving 9 macs. Worked well and very cost effective. Just make sure your network is gibabit Ethernet.