MacPro choice...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by olliemarland, Dec 3, 2010.

1. olliemarland macrumors newbie

Hi all
    Which of the two following options would be better for Logic:
    2.8Ghz single quad 3530 "Nehelam" or the
    2.26Ghz 8 core 5500 'Nehelam" machine?

Best

Ollie

2. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Assuming you are running a medium to large track count with VI's and/or native effects (as opposed to minimally processed audio), the dual CPU machine is likely the better answer. It will be worse for normal everyday stuff, however since your are trading clock speed for cores.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

The SP (single processor) Hex core may be a nice balance, but is hard to tell as there's no information if it's for enthusiast/hobbyist/student, or professional use. Especially for budgetary concerns, as there's upgrades that can make a substantial impact on workflow above the cost of the base machine; no matter the model chosen (you will still need enough RAM and disk I/O to keep the cores from starving/stalling).

More information on specific usage would be very helpful. ;)

4. olliemarland thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thanks for that. Yes, I usually run plenty of VIs, some hungry ones, and a medium amount of audio, with a reasonable quota of FX. I'm still currently using the old G5, which is hopelessly inadequate now. So essentially Logic benefits more from a higher # of cores due to the multitasking ability, even if the clock speed is slightly lower, am I right? I would probably put between 8 and 12 Ghz of RAM in.

5. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Logic can use up to 16 cores (total of physical + hyper-threaded virtual ones). The scaling is not 100%, but on a 2.26x8 vs a 2.8x4, I think the octo will win. You also have the option of popping in some faster CPU's at a later date.

I assume you are looking at left over/used 2009 models?

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

As khollister mentioned, more cores would be a better way to go for improved performance.

But I've still no idea what your budget is, or if you're earning a living with it (for sure, as a G5 would lend me to think you're not a student ;)).

A 2009 Octad with faster clocks on the CPU's would be something to consider as well (refurbished - it comes with a full warranty, and you can get the extended Apple Care for it as well; saves money too). :)

7. olliemarland thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying not to exceed 2.5k by too much, don't really want used, refurbished is ok. Been pro for ages but am relatively slow to upgrade!

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

You're not going to have a choice with that budget; Quad it is. You could get a refurbished unit (or check places like MacMall or Amazon right now, as they're running sales) to save some funds that can be put back into Extended Apple Care and upgrades.

But a Hex or Octad will be out of budget (2009 or newer). You may be able to find an '08, but there won't be much if any warranty on it, and no way to extend it.

And you've not even touched upgrades yet, so you will have to increase what you're willing to spend (you will want to up the RAM and improve disk I/O). :(