MacPro delayed until January 2008?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Butthead, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

LOL, if Apple doesn't use the Xeon in the next MacPro update, they could use an overclocked C2X on Nov.11...or we could see this CPU in an all new Octo iMac :eek: come Nov.11 :p. Cool, or should I say 'that's hot', a TOL 24in iMac that could keep up with a MacPro in CPU performance...with a screamer of a fan blowing/on turbo mode 100% of the time.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070928PD207.html
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/09/28/intel.penryn.nov.11/

Of course, I (not we) don't really care about the MacPro or the iMac, since I won't be buying/using one of them. Electronista seems to have incorrect info on the Mobile Penryn however. Monteviña platform Penryn's probably won't ship until summer '08, so surely a Santa Rosa updated MBP with Mobile Penryn will ship long before then, fingers crossed for a 17in LED baclit screen too.

2. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Why ppl don't read properly? :)))

Mac Pro = workstation = Xeon processors. Therefore, it is highly unlike that apple would use desktop or mobile processor in Mac Pro. What we are wating for is Penryn Hapertown that is due to release in November (11th i believe) so we can either get it before or around that time or Apple will screw us over and we will have to wait till MWSF. My CC is ready and I hope for update in 3 weeks possibly with Apple display redesign :)

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I say they update January – start the year with a bang when lots of pros are looking at updating their old systems after the busy lead up to the new year.

4. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Or November, in time for the Holiday season. People seem to forget about debt between Thanksgiving and Christmas

5. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

The only thing I give thanks about is not living in the US :p

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Pros Like November Better Than January For Income Tax Write Offs

The Pros are looking to upgrade systems BEFORE December 31st so they can write the upgrades off on their business income taxes for 2007. So November is a better time than January for Pros to make their moves up to date.

7. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Depends when your tax year runs to – November is too late in some countries. Plus many media companies are at the busiest in the last months of the year, so it's not the best time to setup and test a new system. I'd like to be wrong! Bring on the new Pros next month :D

8. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I envy you my friend!

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Give Thanks I Live In The Central California Coast

Well I give thanks I do. I think USA is the world's best place to live - especially in the Central California Coast 30 miles from Apple World HQ in Cupertino. ;)

10. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

There are like 3 other posts talking about the release of a new MacPro already.... With Leopard is my guess.

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If these things aren't out in November, they won't have much of a shelf-life with the next platform coming out in mid-2008. Apple will really have to bring them out in November or make an awfully small run of these babies.

12. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Your joking?

A six month shelf life is considered a long time for computers in the PC world. Even if they did bring it out in January and the new platform came out in July / August they still would have the chance to ship a fair few systems in that time.

I would hardly call it small. Especially with Apples sales growing as fast as they are.

13. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Except Apple seems to ignore what happens in the PC world – hence this thread :rolleyes:

14. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Not for Workstations, but it matters not anyway as far as Apple are concerned.

And butthead, you seem to be posting alot of wild speculation regarding Mac Pros, maybe take some time to understand the workstation platform, the difference from the desktop one and why Apple will continue to use it rather consistantly looking a bit of a fool.

15. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Butthead Is Looking Like A Butthead

You mean looking like a Butthead?

16. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

I agree with you, the Mac Pro will always use dual Xeons.

Unfortunately there is a small bunch of consumers that dream (and that's the right word for it) of a consumer tower with a single Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad (is there such a thing?) which may or may never happen. Unfortunately you can't seem to crush their dream, and so they keep on creating dozens of threads on the subject.

17. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

18. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

There are lots of places in the world with great scenery and proximity to shops.

I think the OP was referring to politics, freedom, etc. :)

19. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Sorry to disagree here, but USA is not a great place to live in atm. Not with the current president. :)) I think that american patrionism and pride cause a lot of pain and trouble in the past. If I could choose a dream place, I would probably move California or NY to Canada. :)) But I'm stuck here in UK. (And I'm still foreigner) :))))

edit: and please don't flame this discussion with politics. I apologized for the fact that I disagree with you. Lets keep it polite here. :)) Anyway, I really hope for 1st week of november or ideally last week in October. :) Shame I can't go to USA and buy it there cheaper. :))

20. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Hardily. What would Apple replace the Mac Pros with now? What are they ignoring?

The only thing I can think of is graphics cards.

True, but Intel seem to have ramped up their processor timeline since AMD released the Opterons which beat the Intel Xeons at that time. I guess they are keen to stay in first place (Intel that is).

21. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well hopefully they update next month, or with Leopard (but i doubt it). the sooner the better

22. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

So.umm..If the Mac Pro is "delayed" what was Apple's original release date?

23. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Hahaha, that's awesome.

24. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

......Why November 11???

Also, these assumptions are totally unfounded. Why would there be another new iMac two months after a new one?

Also, what the hell is a 'Santa Rosa updated MBP with Penryn'? It's Santa Rosa, or Penryn. It can't be both.

The next iMacs, which won't be out until at least August of 2008, will feature Penryn (which by the way is mobile, there is no need to say 'Mobile Penryn' because 'Desktop Penryn' does not exist) because iMacs use mobile processors.

25. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Yea that's what I was gonna say. That and there won't be Octo-Core in an iMac for a long time. Gotta separate the "Pros" from the "Consumers." Expect an Octo-Core iMac when either:

A. Hell freezes over.
    or
    B. 16-Core MacPro gets announced.