Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
Wait are you running dual external monitors? :eek:
DVI monitor and display port monitor? I thought that was only possible on desktops, mini,imac, MP?

out of the box the macbooks only do one external monitor with the minidisplay port.

you can add additional display outputs using USB
I purchased this newly released model from here: http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Minideck-USB-to-DVI-Display-Adapter.asp

display link adapters have been around for a while but my monitors run at 2048 by 1152 and this was the first usb adapter that promised that resolution.

If you dont need the high resolution support (2048x1152) there are many other solutions out there for usb display outputs.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
they're all hot plug ports. be glad you don't have to reboot in between changing cables like in the old days! :eek:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I can't imagine going back to the MacBook Pro now; yes I can live with a MacBook Air (because if I can compromise, why not go all the way), but from all that space and expansion to half-way isn't for me. I can see your issue here OP.

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
If you have all your screens, your adapters etc, and you don't need a powerful desktop, why don't you just get a mac mini to connect to all this paraphernalia and use your laptop when you need portability (on the go, in the plane, on the couch etc).

I'd love a Mac Pro but I can't afford it to be honest.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
If you have all your screens, your adapters etc, and you don't need a powerful desktop, why don't you just get a mac mini to connect to all this paraphernalia and use your laptop when you need portability (on the go, in the plane, on the couch etc).

I'd love a Mac Pro but I can't afford it to be honest.

This.

I like your use of the word 'paraphernalia' hahahaha...

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I too sold my Mac Pro to buy a MBP. The Mac Pro was simply over kill though I miss the internal 4 HD bays.

I have both USB ports used, and the firewire is used. I have tow HDs connected, one is a firewire LaCie 2TB and the other is a USB 2TB enclosure that I bought at Micro Center.

I don't miss that huge Mac Pro taking up all the space with the 23" ACD. I sold it too last month.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
I too sold my Mac Pro to buy a MBP. The Mac Pro was simply over kill though I miss the internal 4 HD bays.

I'm discovering that internal drives are just faster than any external setup. I've got 2 external Western Blacks as a RAID0 for 1.2TB as bootup. On the Mac Pro it scored 140 Xbench, but now it's 79. Firewire 800 is the bottleneck.

Sweet, any screen flicker or latency issues?

MacBook Air (because if I can compromise, why not go all the way)
Great tagline for the MBA :D

The MBA really compromises on battery life.

Have you looked into something like this? DOCK

$499 to solve clutter, but I like the matching look and feel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.