macpro dual booting with windows vista 64

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vance09, Feb 14, 2010.

1. vance09 macrumors regular

I am running a mac pro 2x2.26 quad core 8 gigs ram and the 4870 video card and everything works great(mac os 10.6.2) ,i also dual boot to windows vista 64 and that works good too.
    My question is what would it take besides buying the win7 op system to run it instead of vista64 will the present bootcamp support win7 installation or do i need to download something newer for driver assistance

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Have you updated BootCamp support to the version required for Windows 7, if you have then Im pretty sure that youre perfectly ready to go (It wouldve worked anyway I expect - I upgraded from XP to Vista on the PC side without going via BootCamp and it worked perfectly).

3. wafl iron macrumors regular

If you are doing a clean install of win7 32/64 bit versions, you'll have to physically remove all hard drives on your macpro that you are not installing win7 on. Otherwise you'll get that dreaded error when trying to install on the bootcamp ntfs partition during setup. After you finish the install , you can put back in all your drives.

I assume the bootcamp 3.1 update fixes this but only if you are performing an upgrade from vista... dont know about xp.

Another problem i ran into was that make sure the win7 install dvd (if you burned it) is at 16x speed and not 8x or else the install will hang or take forever to load.

4. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys

I might just try the installing of win7 on top of vista 64 like an upgrade ,will try that first instead of a clean install .Thanks for the advice.
    Let you know how i fair out

5. vance09 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks it all worked out fine

I loaded win 7_64 on top of vista 64 and all worked out fine.The apple wireless keyboard will not work ,cannot get the computer to boot up with win7 unless i use a usb keyboard.I have had my share of apple wireless keyboard troubles so maybe its time to go usb wired.
    Win 7 is running at 5.9 and thats the hd transfer rate holding it back as all the other items are 7.7 and 7.5 --thats fast.
    i used driver genius to update all drivers but it would have been fine without that .
    Only question i have is how do you open the cd drive ,besides going to my computer and doing a eject
    The mac does run win7 better than a pc

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

You can eject from windows explorer by right clicking the drive. The Apple eject button should also work when the bootcamp drivers are fully loaded.